MJ's little flock

This is the hardest part whether you are using a incubator or a broody hen. I've been known to sit right beside the incubator with a flashlight shining down on a egg that has pipped and sit beside the hen when I've heard peeping under her. Depending on the hen every now and then I will gently lift up the front of momma and take a peek under her with a flashlight. This is the paranoid side of me as I've had some issue's with the marans hatching. From my flock I can just about count on if a chick is mal-positioned its a marans chick.

This is the hardest part whether you are using a incubator or a broody hen. I've been known to sit right beside the incubator with a flashlight shining down on a egg that has pipped and sit beside the hen when I've heard peeping under her. Depending on the hen every now and then I will gently lift up the front of momma and take a peek under her with a flashlight. This is the paranoid side of me as I've had some issue's with the marans hatching. From my flock I can just about count on if a chick is mal-positioned its a marans chick.
I'm sitting within a metre of the nest so when the chick.peeps, I can hear it clearly.

I hope it's not mal-positioned. Should I check?

I'm sitting within a metre of the nest so when the chick.peeps, I can hear it clearly.

I hope it's not mal-positioned. Should I check?
I didn't mean to worry you, most time everything is fine and perfectly normal. I'd almost call it a fluke with my girls eggs. Almost every hatch I have to assist one after making the external pip and then nothing for almost 30 hours I'll intervene. Each time the chick has had its head tucked under a wing in such as way that it could not move to zip properly. They have also ended up being my largest chicks at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom