MJ's little flock

No. At this point in time, it's not a coop but a run with a little prefab coop in it. The run was built by tradies last year.

There's a larger fox-proof coop separate to the run.

I'm constructing a 3-sided roosting box in the run, with a raised floor.
I have forgotten the details, can you remind me why it needs a floor at all? Wouldn't a roost and a roof be all they need?

I have forgotten the details, can you remind me why it needs a floor at all? Wouldn't a roost and a roof be all they need?
Sure! Because it's going to be a shady corner, with shade falling on the floor, which becomes a cool ceiling above the food and water, which will be hanging in a breezeway beneath the floor. So, it'll provide shade upon shade in a breezeway, over the food and water. As well as providing poop inspection opportunities. I'm aiming to construct coolness, near the misting spray but not within it. Oh! Not to mention keeping the night poops out of the food and water.

Last edited:
Is mini orb metal? That might be a consideration in the heat maybe.
It is, but it's quite thin. It'll heat up and cool down quickly. The root will be in the skillion shape so heat can escape up and out as cool air rises from the breezeway below. I'm planning to place the roof quite high above the roost, it should be too high to hold any heat on the hens.

Installing mini orb will be trickier than ply, and that's a big deal for me.

Sure! Because it's going to be a shady corner, with shade falling on the floor, which becomes a cool ceiling above the food and water, which will be hanging in a breezeway beneath the floor. So, it'll provide shade upon shade in a breezeway, over the food and water. As well as providing poop inspection opportunities. I'm aiming to construct coolness, near the misting spray but not within it. Oh! Not to mention keeping the night poops out of the food and water.
Thanks for explaining. I am looking forward to seeing it come together.

Back
Top Bottom