MJ's little flock

Mary has had a poopy bum for a while and I wondered whether the smell was setting Peggy off. Anyway, I put Mary in the tub and then realised how long she'd have to soak before her poop clods softened, so I got the scissors and very gently and carefully snipped them off. She didn't mind. The whole process, from deciding to take action to cleaning out the tub afterwards, was over in about 30 minutes.

I can see Mary is pleased. The clods were rather large and would've been uncomfortable.

Peggy hasn't chased her since, but I'll keep watching.
Lilly needs another clean up badly. I expect we will do the same this weekend.

I just realised I used the sentence "I put Mary in the tub" like it's no big deal because it really wasn't a big deal to slowly herd the entire flock into the bathroom, close the door, then corner Mary with a big towel and lift her into the bath. I closed the shower curtains to give her a sense of containment, so she'd be less inclined to try hopping out, then I left her to settle while I slowly herded the others back outside.

She was an angel to handle, trim and lift out again.

Two years ago all of that would've been unthinkable.
Isn't it amazing when they trust you so much. Great work on your part! 👍

I got the blue box by pressing the quote symbols " in the 2nd more options tool bar.
Not sure what it's supposed to do.

Chicken tax for all the IT talk.
Tsuki and Deanna going through that awkward chick-to-pullet stage.
View attachment 3035771
Look at those cuties! 🥰🥰

I just realised I used the sentence "I put Mary in the tub" like it's no big deal because it really wasn't a big deal to slowly herd the entire flock into the bathroom, close the door, then corner Mary with a big towel and lift her into the bath. I closed the shower curtains to give her a sense of containment, so she'd be less inclined to try hopping out, then I left her to settle while I slowly herded the others back outside.

She was an angel to handle, trim and lift out again.

Two years ago all of that would've been unthinkable.
Party in the bathroom, c'mon, girls, spa day!
Was that to keep everyone, maybe mostly Mary, calm? And she was fine to have everyone leave without her? Did they want to stay with her?

She seemed completely unfazed, but it was the first time I had seen bare patches on a chicken and I was a little freaked out! Especially as the quills start pushing through the skin. It looks so painful!
It does. But from the way Peggy was exerting herself yesterday I don't think the chickens feel too bad about it.

Back
Top Bottom