MJ's little flock

That's the thing. Gloria was the same but without the technology.
And the other thing Shad, is Mark's hesitancy to confidently diagnose. He works on a 'most likely' principle. 'Most likely' to be EYP, so try antibiotics. Doesn't work. Try an xray. 'Most likely' to be a more aggressive EYP or uterus or tumour, try surgery. Ah! There's the right diagnosis and the right treatment.

Whereas sometimes people who aren't vets come across as very, very sure of their diagnoses when they haven't even inspected a hen in person. I'm not saying they are sure, but that's how it seems. The medium would have something to do with it.

Here's another photo that indicates Mary's bald patch.

IMG_2022-09-17-10-19-20-248.jpg

I was thinking this evening I'd bring Ivy in to keep her company. I think they'd both like that. Once the weather warms up a bit Mary can go back to her normal lifestyle, but it's just too chilly right now to have such a big bald patch.
I love this idea. Ivy would sure cheer me up.

Hello good people of BYC :)

After months and months of telling my chicken stories on other people's pages, I've decided to make my own.

I'm a very inexperienced chicken keeper so I need all the help I can get! Your chat and advice will be much appreciated.
Hiya!! Newb here too. I also joined to learn. I'm in the boonies, but I didn't want a large flock. I have Rodney the rooster, and 2 girls I named Minnie, and Pearl. Rodney has already earned his keep. I think he's a little aggressive with the girls, but no one has gotten hurt, and no one looks stressed. He appears to be showing off when I'm out there, and starts bossing them around, but he doesn't like my "chicken stick", just a soft stick I found on the ground, so if he gets too bossy, I say, Don't MAKE me get the chicken stick, boy. Lol....he's also a praise hound. When he's done a good job on something, he knows what "good boy" means. He flaps and crows, lol!!

And the other thing Shad, is Mark's hesitancy to confidently diagnose. He works on a 'most likely' principle. 'Most likely' to be EYP, so try antibiotics. Doesn't work. Try an xray. 'Most likely' to be a more aggressive EYP or uterus or tumour, try surgery. Ah! There's the right diagnosis and the right treatment.

Whereas sometimes people who aren't vets come across as very, very sure of their diagnoses when they haven't even inspected a hen in person. I'm not saying they are sure, but that's how it seems. The medium would have something to do with it.
There are a few instances where one can make an educated guess at what the problem might be but many of the illnesses chickens get need a proper diagnosis and often an xray or surgery to investigate. This not usually an option for most keepers.

Back
Top Bottom