MJ's little flock

I would've been happy with any of the heritage breeds, but secretly I've always been keen on Sussexes and Dorkings. And it'll be nice to have a second Barnevelder.

It's been a wonderful afternoon of watching chicken telly! I love that they choose to stand within half a metre of me. I hope to build trust quickly.
Only the speckled variety of Sussex really appeals to me (I think I must have a thing about spotty plumage), and I love the Dorking's longevity - first mentioned in Roman sources, but it's not clear whether they found it here when they invaded or brought it with them.

Hehe, breeds are tricky! The one with white spots is Edie (Speckled Sussex), the one with a white hood is Lorna (Silver Grey Dorking), and the brown one is Katie (Blue-laced Gold Barnevelder).
Thanks! I could tell Edie but not the other two.
I am excited to see more pictures!

Only the speckled variety of Sussex really appeals to me (I think I must have a thing about spotty plumage), and I love the Dorking's longevity - first mentioned in Roman sources, but it's not clear whether they found it here when they invaded or brought it with them.
Roman! Wow, I had no idea the breed went back so far!

After much peeping and roost experimentation, the pullets have settled down for the night.

IMG_2022-11-05-20-00-47-441.jpg

I need to read up about Dorkings. By longevity, do you mean of the breed or the individual?
I love speckled hens too. Your Swedish Flowers ( did I get that right?) are beautiful.

I need to read up about Dorkings. By longevity, do you mean of the breed or the individual?
I love speckled hens too. Your Swedish Flowers ( did I get that right?) are beautiful.
the breed - the five toes are the key to the identification, and while there are a few other 5-toed varieties, they were certainly not the norm then. Of course we've had 2,000 years evolution and selective breeding since then, and mosaics and painted surfaces aren't photos of course :lol:, but I think it's about as secure as any breed can be given the timescale and the evidence.

the breed - the five toes are the key to the identification, and while there are a few other 5-toed varieties, they were certainly not the norm then. Of course we've had 2,000 years evolution and selective breeding since then, and mosaics and painted surfaces aren't photos of course :lol:, but I think it's about as secure as any breed can be given the timescale and the evidence.
The Romans wrote about them apparently. Fascinating.
MJ what color Dorking is she?

I love the Swedish flowers too. And I'm half Swedish myself (except for that 1/8 Scots), so I have a genuine curiosity about them. In all my chicken-gazing, I've never seen one.

Back
Top Bottom