MJ's little flock

The Romans wrote about them apparently. Fascinating.
There are 3 major agricultural treatises surviving and translated into English if you're really interested. The Dorking info comes from Roman historians writing on the invasion and then assorted sources recording life in Roman Britain e.g. the Vindolanda tablets, which among other things preserve an order for chickens and eggs for a dinner party for example. There's Greek sources even earlier (though not on the Dorking) - if memory serves correct, one of the last things Sokrates is supposed to have said was that he owed a cock to Asklepios and wanted Plato to pay it for him.

Hej Mary Janet! Where abouts in Sweden? I think it's a beautiful country.
Hej! North and rural (grandfather Ernest), I used to know the name of the town and if it comes to mind, I'll update. And Stockholm (great grandfather Magnus who married a Scots lady, Jane). So Nana's father was Swedish and she married a Swede.

I've only been once, for only a couple of days and I was only in Stockholm. I must go back one day.

There are 3 major agricultural treatises surviving and translated into English if you're really interested. The Dorking info comes from Roman historians writing on the invasion and then assorted sources recording life in Roman Britain e.g. the Vindolanda tablets, which among other things preserve an order for chickens and eggs for a dinner party for example. There's Greek sources even earlier (though not on the Dorking) - if memory serves correct, one of the last things Sokrates is supposed to have said was that he owed a cock to Asklepios and wanted Plato to pay it for him.
Marvellous post! Thanks so much!

Interesting!
This source claims Columella wrote about 5-toed chickens.
I cannot claim to have gone to the source and my Latin is certainly no longer up to doing so.
https://livestockconservancy.org/heritage-breeds/heritage-breeds-list/dorking-chicken/

Hej! North and rural (grandfather Ernest), I used to know the name of the town and if it comes to mind, I'll update. And Stockholm (great grandfather Magnus who married a Scots lady, Jane). So Nana's father was Swedish and she married a Swede.

I've only been once, for only a couple of days and I was only in Stockholm. I must go back one day.
I stayed on Sodermalm many years ago, and really loved it: fab view over Stockholm (when the ferries weren't parked up in the way!). The architecture and island structure is hugely appealing, but the prices weren't! Scrumptious cakes and breads in cosy cafes cost a fortune. But the apple cake with vanilla sauce in the Black Cat was worth every crown :drool I've also stayed in Uppsala, which is just as attractive, and marginally less expensive. I'd go back if opportunity presented itself.

Interesting!
This source claims Columella wrote about 5-toed chickens.
I cannot claim to have gone to the source and my Latin is certainly no longer up to doing so.
https://livestockconservancy.org/heritage-breeds/heritage-breeds-list/dorking-chicken/
pity it doesn't give a precise reference; if I have time later I'll see if I can track it down.

Was easier than I thought: "Columella's De Re Rustica (1954) is one of several agricultural works that provide instructions for the care of egg-laying chickens, including housing requirements and modifying feed to make hens lay sooner, more often, and with larger eggs (De Re Rustica, book 8, ch.3, s.1–8; book 8, ch.5, s.1–2). He also describes aspects of productivity and preservation, such as transferring eggs for hatching to capable broody hens, and using chaff, bran and salt for egg storage (De Re Rustica, book 8, ch.6, s.1–2). Columella and other ancient authors, such as Varro, even suggest that certain types of chicken, including those with five toes, were the best for egg-laying and brooding (De Re Rustica, book 8, ch.2, s.8)." https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2017.09.013 page 1010.

I stayed on Sodermalm many years ago, and really loved it: fab view over Stockholm (when the ferries weren't parked up in the way!). The architecture and island structure is hugely appealing, but the prices weren't! Scrumptious cakes and breads in cosy cafes cost a fortune. But the apple cake with vanilla sauce in the Black Cat was worth every crown :drool I've also stayed in Uppsala, which is just as attractive, and marginally less expensive. I'd go back if opportunity presented itself.
I spent time in Uppsala as a kid - my Dad had something to do with the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation at the time - and it gave me an enduring love of fish and seafood of all kinds!
As an adult I have been to Stockholm several times on business trips and have always found it delightful.

pity it doesn't give a precise reference; if I have time later I'll see if I can track it down.

Was easier than I thought: "Columella's De Re Rustica (1954) is one of several agricultural works that provide instructions for the care of egg-laying chickens, including housing requirements and modifying feed to make hens lay sooner, more often, and with larger eggs (De Re Rustica, book 8, ch.3, s.1–8; book 8, ch.5, s.1–2). He also describes aspects of productivity and preservation, such as transferring eggs for hatching to capable broody hens, and using chaff, bran and salt for egg storage (De Re Rustica, book 8, ch.6, s.1–2). Columella and other ancient authors, such as Varro, even suggest that certain types of chicken, including those with five toes, were the best for egg-laying and brooding (De Re Rustica, book 8, ch.2, s.8)." https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2017.09.013 page 1010.
Wow - thanks for looking that up. Fascinating. I already read in my chicken history book about how it was the Romans who introduced chicken to the British diet.
The Romans also had large scale incubators for hatching eggs.

If you haven't read this book I strongly recommend it. It is by Andrew Lawler and is called Why Did the Chicken Cross the World:: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21412290-why-did-the-chicken-cross-the-world

Back
Top Bottom