MJ's little flock

I'm so happy to see repopulation is on the cards :hugs

And don't forget the Swedish Flowers and the Mille Fleur D'uccles. And the spangled colours of the Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (I think these are exceptionally lovely). There would be others I haven't managed to learn about yet.

There's quite a range of speckled chickens to consider.
I love the Swedish Flowers - I have to look up the others.
My main restriction is that I do not want to do the chicks by mail thing that is the norm here. Honestly, even without the concerns many have about the whole hatchery industry, I can barely get regular mail without a lot of intervention, so I really worry about the risk with live animals. So that means I need to get chicks that I can drive and collect.

My main restriction is that I do not want to do the chicks by mail thing that is the norm here. Honestly, even without the concerns many have about the whole hatchery industry, I can barely get regular mail without a lot of intervention, so I really worry about the risk with live animals. So that means I need to get chicks that I can drive and collect.
That is an excellent point.

And some of those speckled chickens can be quite hard to find within a sensible driving distance. The only Appenzellers I've been able to find in Australia were not the spangled colour. I'm sure there's a lot of breed scarcity where you live too.

That is an excellent point.

And some of those speckled chickens can be quite hard to find within a sensible driving distance. The only Appenzellers I've been able to find in Australia were not the spangled colour. I'm sure there's a lot of breed scarcity where you live too.
I think I am better off than you because both NJ and neighboring PA have farm country. There are a couple of local hatcheries in NJ that are small family operations. But they have what they have if you see what I mean.
I will definitely look - there are breeder directories that are not always up to date but are a place to start at least!

:lol: 🤣

I set the timer, lined up the perfect WW photo for Ribh's thread , and made a noise to invite the pullets to lift their heads.

They scampered off! I must've been too loud

IMG_2022-11-09-07-22-16-422.jpg

I think I am better off than you because both NJ and neighboring PA have farm country. There are a couple of local hatcheries in NJ that are small family operations. But they have what they have if you see what I mean.
I will definitely look - there are breeder directories that are not always up to date but are a place to start at least!
I do see.

I'm quite lucky to have found the one breeder who raises a range of heritage breeds for sale to people like myself. And she only sells through that one fodder store in Lobethal, which is up in the hills. It wasn't too far to drive, 50 minutes there, another 50 back again. But I wouldn't want to go much further.

I don't think that breeder was in business when I was looking around for Peggy and Ivy.

View attachment 3316868

The old kitchen chairs have been a bonus in the pullets' room. They love sitting under the chairs and it's seating for me. Last night Edie hopped up on one on her way up to the top of the cat tree.
Your pictures show just how importantly chickens view cover above them.

You can always try your hand at hatching eggs. If you don't want a lot of one breed and the seller doesn't do splits, I'm sure you can find someone to share the cost and the hatching - then everyone gets a few of each.

Back
Top Bottom