MJ's little flock

Rats. I've been checking up on the pullet grower feed I bought and I don't like it. It has linoleic acid which the label says makes larger eggs (I couldn't care less about large eggs, except to prefer smaller ones), so I'm going to switch over to a different one with lasalocid sodium which is anti-cocci.

I should've checked all this beforehand.

Full tummy. Must be time to sit and contemplate.

View attachment 3317253
She has such an interesting color, it really shows on this photo. I wonder if they have their definite colors now ?
Rats. I've been checking up on the pullet grower feed I bought and I don't like it. It has linoleic acid which the label says makes larger eggs (I couldn't care less about large eggs, except to prefer smaller ones), so I'm going to switch over to a different one with lasalocid sodium which is anti-cocci.

I should've checked all this beforehand.
How much did you buy ? I wouldn't worry too much, I can't think that linoleic acid would be harmful for them especially if it's only for a few weeks.

She has such an interesting color, it really shows on this photo. I wonder if they have their definite colors now ?

How much did you buy ? I wouldn't worry too much, I can't think that linoleic acid would be harmful for them especially if it's only for a few weeks.
I'm wondering about their colouring too. The older hens seem change colour very little, if at all. If I cast my mind back to when Ivy and Peggy were little, I don't recall any change of colour as they grew their first adult feathers. However the overall texture and shape of their feathers improved enormously. I think perhaps Ivy's spots on her neck feathers became more numerous. And Peggy's gold beard became smaller.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing whether their colour changes. Edie has some barring on her wing feathers, which seems inconsistent with being a Speckled Sussex. All three pullets have scrappy tails. And maybe Katie's blue lacing will be more defined? These things don't matter much :) but it's fun to speculate.

The other thing that bothered me is that it doesn't have a coccidiostat and one of these pullets did some reddish poops two days ago, which of course is on my mind. I haven't seen any other cause for concern and they will see the vet soon, so while I'm thinking of it, I can't call it a worry.

The new pellets have a coccidiostat and have passed a taste test, so that's all good.

Last edited:
She's home from the office! Must be snack time.

IMG_2022-11-10-17-14-15-192.jpg

Back
Top Bottom