MJ's little flock

I would keep them if I could, but the council says no roosters. We specifically asked for pullets but the zoo staff couldn’t really tell. I won’t do a hatch because of cockerels being unwanted.
I just find the whole no rooster business completely beyond reason. I can't think of any other creature that is so unwanted in "civilized" society. Barking dogs, wailing cats, both of which invade other peoples properties are fine it seems. A 100db sound system is fine unless it's after 11pm, but a rooster who may crow a few times especially in the morning is completely unacceptable. There must be more to it than the noise. I just don't understand what.

It's a habit I started many years ago and I love it! I don't see a good reason to skimp on luxuries that don't cost much.

I sprayed the garden hose onto the roof and none of it reached the gutter before I felt like I was wasting too much water. It pooled in the lowest point which is the mid-point. Not what I had in mind when I asked for a skillion roof verbally and in writing, which is high at one end to ensure run-off. I don't yet know how the roof will perform under a big storm. Hopefully it will drain away and not leak through.

In time, the downpipe will be connected to a rainwater tank, which will water plants in the chicken run. We don't usually get much rain, so catching it and putting it to use is wise and new houses are required to have rainwater tanks, so of which are plumbed to flush the toilets which is fantastic - why flush perfectly good drinking water down the toilet?? That said, recently we've been getting more rain than I'm used to and it's been another very mild Summer so far. This coming week will be in the low 30s C all week, but that's not very hot, especially as the humidity will be close to 0.

There's never snow at my house, but sometimes there's snow on the biggest hill nearby (we call it Mount Lofty but compared to the mountains at your house, it's an ant hill 😂).
Water pooling in the mid-point is strange, for a builder to not see that, even eyeballing it an experienced builder can see when something is straight and level or not. It's possible the builder tightened the polycarbonate roofing screws too much there, or the support itself is lower there and needs "firring" out. Pooling water could rot the support beneath it.
I wonder if it being a roof for chickens the builder thought less of doing a good job. :(

Water pooling in the mid-point is strange, for a builder to not see that, even eyeballing it an experienced builder can see when something is straight and level or not. It's possible the builder tightened the polycarbonate roofing screws too much there, or the support itself is lower there and needs "firring" out. Pooling water could rot the support beneath it.
I wonder if it being a roof for chickens the builder thought less of doing a good job. :(
He has chickens of his own, so maybe it was sheer incompetence?

I just find the whole no rooster business completely beyond reason. I can't think of any other creature that is so unwanted in "civilized" society. Barking dogs, wailing cats, both of which invade other peoples properties are fine it seems. A 100db sound system is fine unless it's after 11pm, but a rooster who may crow a few times especially in the morning is completely unacceptable. There must be more to it than the noise. I just don't understand what.
Where I live, no one cares about roosters.

They care about noise. So barking dogs, wailing cats, sound systems, roosters, etc are all on the "might be a problem" list. If any household produces excessive noise complaints from neighbours, the council would take action. That's why Rocky the Rooster who lives a few houses away wears a collar that reduces his volume.

I can't speak for Loz's local council.

Well then possibly. How do the chickens live at his place? Under any old scrap of roofing, or under something nice?
I haven't a clue.

It's possible for people to take handyman work like building a roof for chickens without any training or accreditation. People in that niche are far less expensive than properly accredited builders. The chap who did the roof for the hens is in that group.

Last edited:
So the zoo will most likely euthanise. They said sometimes they try to rehome, or will keep a pretty bird, but they mainly euthanise. The hen rescue charity has on their Facebook page that they can’t accept any more roosters. So I’ve got the contact details of five farms and farm stays in the area, which I will call tomorrow as it’s Sunday today.
I reconciled myself to euthanasia of cockerels last year when thinking about hatches. For some reason, no crow collars seem unkind to me (maybe I'm wrong in holding that view, please convince me otherwise if you can). Also, I'm not confident in my abilities to maintain a rooster, especially if he hasn't got an older, wiser rooster to learn from.

I talked it over with Mark, who reminded me of three things.

First, any cockerel who hatched and grew up at my house would have a far more joyful life than almost every other cockerel (he's thinking of the egg and meat industries). Second, no chicken knows the end is coming. They live joyfully and get the best from every moment, without fretting or worrying about looming death. Third, he can put a cockerel to sleep humanely without scaring the cockerel.

I immediately saw the logic in these points and got over my fear of euthanasia for healthy cockerels.

But if I can be convinced that no crow collars are harmless, I'd think again.

I've finished it and I'm not quite sure what I think of it.
The mix of BHWT and Nottingham University is probably not a good thing imo.
Their aims and values are too different as is their level of knowledge.
I agree with both points, but I'm still learning a lot from it, so it serves its purpose well in my case.

I reconciled myself to euthanasia of cockerels last year when thinking about hatches. For some reason, no crow collars seem unkind to me (maybe I'm wrong in holding that view, please convince me otherwise if you can). Also, I'm not confident in my abilities to maintain a rooster, especially if he hasn't got an older, wiser rooster to learn from.

I talked it over with Mark, who reminded me of three things.

First, any cockerel who hatched and grew up at my house would have a far more joyful life than almost every other cockerel (he's thinking of the egg and meat industries). Second, no chicken knows the end is coming. They live joyfully and get the best from every moment, without fretting or worrying about looming death. Third, he can put a cockerel to sleep humanely without scaring the cockerel.

I immediately saw the logic in these points and got over my fear of euthanasia for healthy cockerels.

But if I can be convinced that no crow collars are harmless, I'd think again.
FWIW everything I have read about no-crow collars suggests to me they are at best cruel and at worst life threatening.
Of course I have no direct experience so that is all based on reading various posts and articles.

Back
Top Bottom