MJ's little flock

Have you had any tested for Marek’s? When an EYP infection went septic in Margo and they suspectedca background Marek’s infection, UC Davis confirmed it weakens their immune systems.
No, I haven't. I also haven't had vaccinated chickens for a while so it's a possibility.

I wondered how you test for Mareks, and saw it can be by blood or feathers, not just a necropsy? That would be nice.
Yes. You can also take a throat or vent swab and send it to a lab for PCR testing.
Just like a Covid test.
Of course there can be false positives and negatives but claims an accuracy in the high 90s%
The lab I have used is in Texas and charges $20 a test. They also do gender testing.

I wondered how you test for Mareks, and saw it can be by blood or feathers, not just a necropsy? That would be nice.
I believe @Eggcessive has info on this. Kim, do you mind chiming in on how to test for Marek’s short of necropsy? Would you happen to also have the same info for Australia? Thank you!

Yes. You can also take a throat or vent swab and send it to a lab for PCR testing.
Just like a Covid test.
Of course there can be false positives and negatives but claims an accuracy in the high 90s%
The lab I have used is in Texas and charges $20 a test. They also do gender testing.
Oops! I see you already posted, RC. Can you share what contact info you have?

Just like a Covid test.
I wonder if they can do that here. It’s probably a $250 blood test, like for Mycoplasma. :(

Back
Top Bottom