MJ's little flock

They produce what people buy. If there's no market for heavy layers then different characteristics will prevail.

I read so many sad stories here about chickens dying after a couple prolific egg-producing years that I decided to go with a breed that would lay less, but live longer. We'll see how it goes.
For me, that approach has worked out quite well. I think Janet (a Barnevelder) and Mary (an Australorp) must be getting near 6 years old. They both came to live at my house in October 2018 when they were pullets, but quite old pullets.

Peggy and Ivy are 3, and they're both bitsas. They arrived late 2019. Edit: it was January 2020 :D

Then there are the two young hens Katie and Edie who would be getting near 1 year old, they're a Barnevelder and a Sussex.

The two ISAs came to live at my house because their previous home was ruined in a flood. They're refugees. They can live with me as long as they need to and I'll give them the same care I give the others.

Last edited:
They produce what people buy. If there's no market for heavy layers then different characteristics will prevail.

I read so many sad stories here about chickens dying after a couple prolific egg-producing years that I decided to go with a breed that would lay less, but live longer. We'll see how it goes.
I think these days I would only try to keep Ex Battery hens with the circumstances I have now. They are a hard breed to keep and not find the experience so heartbreaking that it is easier to turn away than to give the very few that get rescued a chance of some decent quality of life in what life they have left.
The so called heritage chickens seem to be heading down the same road with regard to lifespan although their keeping conditions are usually far better.
I've had so much enjoyment from chickens over the years giving something back if and when I can just seems the decent thing to do.

I don't believe this is true unfortunatley.
I think if they'd had the hens imposed on them by a much-loved aunty like I did, they'd take the hens on.

To be fair to you Shad, I'd have said no if I could because I was crop feeding Lorna at the time and felt my hands were very full. So I think we're both right.

It's been a good lesson for me and now I know I can handle more chickening than I thought I could.

Not that I want to! I'm happy for the flock/tribes to stay at this size for the time being. I used to think 10-12 hens would be ideal. Now it's more like 5-8 is just right.

I've promised the neighbours I'll take their last chook when their other one dies, so they can get their garden established for a few years before re-starting a flock. But after that I'm closing the flock to new hens and adding only fertile eggs and only when necessary.

I say that now but as I learn more, I'm bound to change my mind.

The so called heritage chickens seem to be heading down the same road with regard to lifespan although their keeping conditions are usually far better.
I think there might be some hope in people giving up on breeds altogether and just breeding backyard mix-up chickens. But I see very little evidence of that happening. Some do, like @janiedoe and I'm sure there are others too. But the majority remain fixed on breeds.

In many cases breeds are all that's available. I got lucky with Ivy and Peggy.

I think there might be some hope in people giving up on breeds altogether and just breeding backyard mix-up chickens. But I see very little evidence of that happening. Some do, like @janiedoe and I'm sure there are others too. But the majority remain fixed on breeds.

In many cases breeds are all that's available. I got lucky with Ivy and Peggy.
I'm behind on this thread, so I'm not sure where this is headed, so I hope I don't offend.
I love the mixed chickens. Every single one looks different from the others. I can tell my pure breed girls apart, but I usually have to look twice. I also feel like my mixed babies are very healthy. They may not lay every day, but they lay often enough, and they live good lives.
I don't like the idea of meat chickens or productions.
I would take them and raise them if they needed a home, but I won't support that industry by purposely buying them.
I don't really care about heritage breeds for myself. I admire the way some look, but culling an animal because it doesn't meet sop doesn't appeal to me. Culling an animal because of its sex doesn't either, nor does breeding an aggressive one just because it's pure.
My husband loves boxers. And while I love the ones he has brought home, I would not buy one myself. Those puggy noses just are not meant for longevity and health. I got my last dog from an animal shelter. He wasn't pure but he was loyal, good natured, and cute as a button. And he lived for over 21 years.

Back
Top Bottom