MJ's little flock

Do you have a rooster that loves your boots?
I think she's refering to young Treacle, one of the roosters I looked after who had a bit of a boot fetish.:D
He did get over it once he "discovered" hens.
view

Last edited:
I don't recall Gaston almost killing Piou-piou. I must have missed it and I read your thread.:confused:
What? But you were the one that had me terrified she was going to die of infection!
One of the topics I've banged on about on BYC that produces almost instant ire in the general readership is don't mix breeds. Trying to persuade people not to pick chickens like they choose sweets at a pick and mix store is not well received here. Sometimes it is an unavoidable consequence of kind actions such as yours, but often it's for something like the keeper wanting pretty hens or different coloured eggs it seems.
For those who just keep hens it is usually not a major problem but if one keeps males as well then one starts to see a few of the problems that result in breed mixing.
On a more positive note, Henry who is a large rooster and not the most gracefull creature when mating, managed very well with the Legbars there have been at the allotments. If, being aware of the problems involved with such size and weight differences the roosters spurs are filed round and his toenails done if they are rough. It is after all we who decide which breeds mix with which in most keeping circumstances and not the chickens.
At the allotments the mix there of Ex Battery hens (the Golden Comets being a possible exception) should never have been mixed with Legbars and Light Sussex chickens.
At least where I live, it's not really possible to get backyard mixes without having rather different looks and sizes. Most people keep bantams for hatching and standards for eggs and eventually meat, and they all mate together. And they are mostly diverse looking flocks.

Last year I was given four standard eggs and one bantam egg from a flock with five roosters. Four chickens hatched but if I guess that Merle was the bantam, then two of the standard eggs came from relationships with bantam or cross bantam roos, as Léa and Piou-piou are not standard sized.
This year I asked eggs from a family that has only rather small standards, both for the hens and the one roo. I hope the chicks will be more similar in size. However, the man did warn me that his sister's huge roo that lives across the road sometimes flirt with his ladies 🙄.

Back
Top Bottom