MJ's little flock

They look more like pin feathers than breakages to me but I've never kept Frizzle type breeds.
Not many chickens will eat after roost time unless they have got used to late suppers by living with you for example.
I'm not sure about the poop. The urates look good and some of that looks like cecal poop but the stuff on the left of the pile is a bit concerning.
I hope the vet can sort her out.

I agree that they look like pen feathers. I have a little frizzle rooster. I think he always looks like a ragamuffin. Since he has his own hens, he is a little worse looking. They scoot up against him on the roost and over groom him.
Hopefully your girl is just going through a molt.
I hope so too, thanks everyone. My in-laws have agreed to let them out each afternoon so they’ll have some free-range time.

I used to think scrambled egg was the ultimate food for unwell chickens, but after a few experiences I think it's not that simple. I've had sick hens refuse scrambled eggs disgustedly and eat mackerel. Then my latest unwell hen Brune refused egg and mackerel but ate pieces of chicken ham and banana. When she was ultimately unwell, just like Caramel she ate nothing at all for about four days and when she started eating again it was only foraging specific grass and weeds.
And my first sick hen, Vanille, only ate cucumber and zucchini for four days

I think it's more about what they need than about temptation and sometimes they need to fast for a few days
I do get really worried when they stop drinking.

Edit : but now I remember all the difficulties you had providing nutrition for Lottie, I can understand why you would be worried. I hope the vet provides some answers 💚.

Last edited:
Edit : but now I remember all the difficulties you had providing nutrition for Lottie, I can understand why you would be worried. I hope the vet provides some answers 💚.
So Dr Graham thinks it’s most likely she’s in the middle of a hard moult. He confirmed they were all pin feathers we could see, her breathing was clear, as was her throat, he made no comment on her abdomen and thought the poop picture wasn’t the worst he had seen. So if she’s able to free-range, hopefully she will pull through.

So Dr Graham thinks it’s most likely she’s in the middle of a hard moult. He confirmed they were all pin feathers we could see, her breathing was clear, as was her throat, he made no comment on her abdomen and thought the poop picture wasn’t the worst he had seen. So if she’s able to free-range, hopefully she will pull through.
That's good news. It makes sense. Hopefully he is correct.

Good news. Hopefully that reduces your stress a little.

Hens going off their usual feed is a lot more common than one might think.
I don't think a lot of keepers even notice. It doesn't come up as a regular health issue on the forums.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...off-their-usual-feed-when-they-moult.1498056/

Back
Top Bottom