MJ's little flock

When I went out to take Mary off the roost, it was too bright and the hens had not fallen asleep. So I moved it to a spot where it's not shining in their faces, but it can still charge up every day and the hens are still within it's 5m zone. By that time, it had collected several bugs. It's good to know it's working and I'll get another one for the pergola.
I didn't know about those! I have tons of flies in the coop in summer because it's cool and dark. Would this thing work for flies ? Does it attract insect with the light ?
It had been dropped in too many places. Usually it's in small piles. This morning there were many singles here and there.
Exactly what happens most night at my place. Poop all over the place. I used to try shad’s trick to take a picture before roosting, because with 19 (now 18🥺) I couldn't remember who was were. It turned out most night they managed to switch during the night, even though there is only one ramp on one side that allows them to come up and down !
Mary did well in the car and now has a full week of being left alone before a follow up appointment next Monday morning.

So far, I've continued with the ibuprofen, mainly to minimise the swelling. I'll see how she goes and will stop giving it to her as soon as possible.
Do you find her eye has kept making progress ? She and you will be happy not to get up at dawn tomorrow!

I didn't know about those! I have tons of flies in the coop in summer because it's cool and dark. Would this thing work for flies ? Does it attract insect with the light ?

Yes! Then the insects get electrocuted. But it doesn't discriminate between good and bad insects.

Not sure about flies, but 5 of the 9 zapped last night were mosquitoes, so that's a win.

Exactly what happens most night at my place. Poop all over the place. I used to try shad’s trick to take a picture before roosting, because with 19 (now 18🥺)

He will be ok :hugs

I couldn't remember who was were. It turned out most night they managed to switch during the night, even though there is only one ramp on one side that allows them to come up and down !

I usually have one neat pile for each hen except Katie who changes her position most nights and leaves two piles.

Do you find her eye has kept making progress ? She and you will be happy not to get up at dawn tomorrow!

It's much better. I'm trying for a photo but she's evading me.

Here's one of Janet's hook beak instead, with Mary running away in the distance. Although Jan looks like she's at death's door she's been steadily improving over the last couple of weeks.

IMG_2023-09-18-17-37-55-342.jpg

Last edited:
There are loads of bugs on the zapper this morning! And all the poops are in neat piles again, so I assume the hens were not disturbed by the light or the zapping.

The zapper came with a little brush to knock the dead bugs off, which should make a nice snack for the hens later.

Mary's eyes.

Her right eye (on our left) is still swollen when compared to her left.

When I give her ibuprofen the swelling goes down for 5-6 hours.

IMG_2023-09-19-07-00-05-538.jpg

Her uninjured eye.

IMG_2023-09-19-07-00-22-944.jpg

Her pecked eye.

IMG_2023-09-19-07-00-29-260.jpg

Now that her eyelid has opened more it looks like a little of her lower eyelid was torn off.

Oh but it is looking a lot better than it was MJ.
Poor Mary.
:love
Yes, it's much improved. Still a little swollen but getting better each day.

The best news is that it seems she can see out of it. I need more observations to be certain, but she appears to be seeing things with her bad eye.

Hi everyone, me popping in again. :p:)
I hope everyone is doing ok?
Mrs Speck has hatched out 13 chicks all by herself, (her own nest in the flower bed, her own eggs, and her own idea!)
This is the second year she did a runner to hatch her eggs, and while last year I thought a fox had eaten her for a week, this time I knew right from the start where she was, so didn't have to stress there! She is the best clucky hen of all mine, and I trust her to look after them completely.

Attachments

• 20230919_113112.jpg
    20230919_113112.jpg
    888.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230919_113127.jpg
    20230919_113127.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230919_113107.jpg
    20230919_113107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Hi everyone, me popping in again. :p:)
I hope everyone is doing ok?
Mrs Speck has hatched out 13 chicks all by herself, (her own nest in the flower bed, her own eggs, and her own idea!)
This is the second year she did a runner to hatch her eggs, and while last year I thought a fox had eaten her for a week, this time I knew right from the start where she was, so didn't have to stress there! She is the best clucky hen of all mine, and I trust her to look after them completely.
That's wonderful news! What a clever lady, to hatch 13 chicks 😍 Who's the father? Do you have a photo of him?

That's wonderful news! What a clever lady, to hatch 13 chicks 😍 Who's the father? Do you have a photo of him?
George is the father, my cuckoo Orpington x Light Sussex.
Here is a photo from a little while ago, he hasn't changed much!
DSC_6743.JPG
DSC_6747.JPG
And all the three on the left in this photo are their offspring from last year. (the one on the right is an unrelated RIR) I don't have the one in the middle any more, it sucks having Mareks around : (
DSC_6726.JPG

Back
Top Bottom