MJ's little flock

Yes, it's much improved. Still a little swollen but getting better each day.

The best news is that it seems she can see out of it. I need more observations to be certain, but she appears to be seeing things with her bad eye.
If her sight is just impaired, it might be uncertain but if she has lost sight there would be no possible doubt. When Blanche lost sight in one eye she began bumping into things and into other chickens if they were really on her bad side. If I come from behind and bring a finger close to her bad eye she doesn't blink or move.
I have some more news as well ;)
@LozzyR want to guess who the dad of this little one is?View attachment 3639349
What ? No kidding 😂? Someone has been making good use of his second life ?

If her sight is just impaired, it might be uncertain but if she has lost sight there would be no possible doubt. When Blanche lost sight in one eye she began bumping into things and into other chickens if they were really on her bad side. If I come from behind and bring a finger close to her bad eye she doesn't blink or move.
Yeh, I noticed that behaviour in Mary when she had her eye closed. So we are certainly talking impairment rather than loss of vision.

Today, when I passed my hand in front of her bad eye, she blinked, but she might have noticed my hand with her other eye, so I need to do a few more tests. I'll also try for another video of her eating so we can all compare it to the first one I took on the day of her injury.

George is the father, my cuckoo Orpington x Light Sussex.
Here is a photo from a little while ago, he hasn't changed much!
View attachment 3639345View attachment 3639346And all the three on the left in this photo are their offspring from last year. (the one on the right is an unrelated RIR) I don't have the one in the middle any more, it sucks having Mareks around : (View attachment 3639348
What a handsome fella!

I'm so sorry you're living with Mareks. It must be quite a weight for you to carry.

On the other hand, the chicken's environment is utterly wonderful. The hens at my house would love so much to look at and explore!

Today, when I passed my hand in front of her bad eye, she blinked, but she might have noticed my hand with her other eye, so I need to do a few more tests. I'll also try for another video of her eating so we can all compare it to the first one I took on the day of her injury.
What happened to her? Sorry I missed it, have had a lot of stuff going on lately.
But anyway, I'm very glad it sounds like she's improving!

What happened to her? Sorry I missed it, have had a lot of stuff going on lately.
But anyway, I'm very glad it sounds like she's improving!
Someone (aka Peggy) pecked her in the eye one morning. Poor Mary was bumbling around that first day, then seemed to adjust. The vet put her on a course of antibiotics and approved me giving her ibuprofen in a children's suspension, which I've been doing every day since then, on a tiny bread pile. She had her last injection of antibiotic yesterday and her follow up appointment at the vet is next Monday morning. Her injury is much improved and I'm sure she can see at least a little out of her injured eye.

Yes ; )
I never see either of them 'doing the deed' but most of the eggs are fertile :)
I'll wait for @LozzyR to turn up before I post more photos.
Ohh…. What a gorgeous looking bubba! :love I’m going to say G-man, but in all honesty, I’ve never laid eyes on a frizzle chick so I don’t know what they look like.

If they’re in together then maybe it’s BOW CHICKA WAH WAH time before you see them. Because we separated them at night, every morning was “Guys, get off her, she just wants her breakfast!” :rolleyes:

My hubby will be so pleased, he still misses the boys.

Ohh…. What a gorgeous looking bubba! :love I’m going to say G-man, but in all honesty, I’ve never laid eyes on a frizzle chick so I don’t know what they look like.

If they’re in together then maybe it’s BOW CHICKA WAH WAH time before you see them. Because we separated them at night, every morning was “Guys, get off her, she just wants her breakfast!” :rolleyes:

My hubby will be so pleased, he still misses the boys.
I'm pretty sure you are right, and its G-man. I don't think poor Bela has been getting much of a look in, to be honest. You can't see it in the photos, but they have a little tuft on the tops of their heads, the same as he does!
Its so funny though, because not once have I seen any activity from either of them. They are the politest cockerels I have ever seen! (partially G-man)
Hang on a moment, and I get some more photos : )

I'm pretty sure you are right, and its G-man. I don't think poor Bela has been getting much of a look in, to be honest. You can't see it in the photos, but they have a little tuft on the tops of their heads, the same as he does!
Its so funny though, because not once have I seen any activity from either of them. They are the politest cockerels I have ever seen! (partially G-man)
Hang on a moment, and I get some more photos : )
I’m glad to hear they have good manners. They’d hang out with me but weren’t cuddly. I couldn’t even get them to eat from my hand!

Back
Top Bottom