Mojave Desert, California is here!

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly where you mean, Bubba, but the coyotes have thinned my chook population down way too efficiently! I live in the Coachella Valley, which is considered the low desert area of southern California, So yes, I'd have to say that coyotes are a pain in the pettuti at my place.

Tell us more about living in the desert, it sounds nice. I have spent alot of time in the desert ( during a war ) but want to hear what it's like to live and work all seasons long in the american desert. do tell please.

AL

Coyotes have not been the problem. They don't seem to even want to get over the 5' stock fencing. My problem is the bobcats. I saw one the other morning and it had my favorite Red Star in its mouth. It was about 4am and it took off over the fence with my hen:(

The problem was that I have a chicken wire fenced in room on the front of the coop. I used to leave the coop door open 24/7 so the girls could go out to scratch in the dirt when they wake up.

That bobcat figured out how to pull and yank on the chicken wire until it came loose from the side of the coop. Then it just went it and helped itself.

Now I make sure my girls are locked inside the well built coop until I open it up at dawn and close it at dusk.

The bobcats seem to be nocturnal and only hunt several hours after sundown and just before sunup.

Quote:
Welcome!

After I got out of the Army (in 1985) I joined the National Guard and used to go to the Facility there In Apple Valley just of the 15.

How did you guys fair in that December 17th snow?

michael

Bobcats sometimes hunt during the day here, you just rarely see them. Electric fence is the way to go imo.

Bubba

Hey,

We loved the SNOW! Our Chickens were snowed in - as it was over their heads!

Its a taste of the East that doesn't last too long... This last bit of cold weeks is what we didn't like!

when ever we go on vacation we always go down that way to barstow to the train mcdonalds it is like a tradition, but what i like most is the joshua trees they are my fav

Back
Top Bottom