Molting & A Mass Laying Strike?

MasAhora

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
My 22 hens are a mix of approx 2 year olds, 4 year olds and a couple of grandma's (6-8 year olds).
Normally I run out of eggs around Easter (last warm weather before our winter so they take a break) but now half the girls are molting and the other half are either hiding their eggs or taking an early vacation!
It is quite strange seeing the drop off in eggs, nothing for several days and then a few here and there. Rinse and repeat.
Even allowing for the ones hiding their clutch... it is still unusual and a little alarming!

No other stressors, pests or illnesses readily observed. Half the flock chooses to free range, the other half stays near the coop. (Their wings are not clipped so they can and do fence hop to where ever they want).
They seem OK and still love being talked to.
Anything to worry about? I'm trying not to but....:hmm

Are you saying that the half that aren't molting aren't laying either? Or that just the ones that aren't molting have stopped? Sorry, just trying to make sure I read this right :)

Huh, that's interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know the cause, but hopefully somebody else will chime in here.

Well they're laying again, about half what I would expect this time of year when many go broody or have hidden stashes. Also all their egg shells are nice and hard again, which is a relief.
The bonus is so far this summer I have not been surprised by a hen with a bunch of chicks following her from her secret hide away!
So I think they really were going through a mass molt strike☺️.

Back
Top Bottom