molting at 11 months?

Acre4Me

Enabler
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
So our first flock just turned 12 months old a few days ago. My tween has been insisting that one of them has been molting for a few weeks. I didn't believe it till today when I was out there - and see the run littered with white feathers. Its been snowy for a few weeks, so it wasn't so apparent until today. No eggs from this one for a few weeks either, and when I watched her for awhile today, clearly she is molting. Is this very common to begin a molt at 11.5 months old?

Most hens molt between 12 and 18 months of age, however, exceptions occur. I had one of my pullets go through a hard molt at 8 months! Be sure to provide 18-20% protein rich feed.

Most hens molt between 12 and 18 months of age, however, exceptions occur. I had one of my pullets go through a hard molt at 8 months! Be sure to provide 18-20% protein rich feed.

Yes, They are on 20% grower with OS on the side - available all day long (removed at night). Treats consist of wet 20% grower feed mixed to a batter consistency...sometimes with a few random interesting bits like chopped egg or similar protein item on top. So, they are definitely getting their protein. Over the last several days I've increased their "treat" to every day, since it is really just their feed with some added protein bits. They have eaten it all, or eaten it until it has frozen solid - depends on the day.

We've also seen a reduction in egg production. We have 10 chickens (and one rooster). We have supplemental light on in the coop for 15 hours a day - but it does click off during the main daylight hours, and there have been a few very cloudy/overcast days. Maybe some of the others are getting ready to molt too?

1. Not yet laying - only 5.5 months old
2. Broody and currently raising chicks - no eggs
3. Molting - no eggs
4. not laying - not sure why
5. laying (?)
6. laying (?)
7. laying
8. laying
9. laying
10. laying - but recently started, is 5.5 months old

There is only one hard rule when it comes to chickens... Chickens do what they want. You can research till you're cross eyed. It doesn't matter what the rule book says. They simply don't care. If they want to molt, they're going to. If they want to wait till they are 18 months old to start laying, they're going to.

There is only one hard rule when it comes to chickens... Chickens do what they want. You can research till you're cross eyed. It doesn't matter what the rule book says. They simply don't care. If they want to molt, they're going to. If they want to wait till they are 18 months old to start laying, they're going to.
Best statement of the Year Award goes to:goodpost::yuckyuck

I had one that was under 12 months start molting on me in December. In the first week of February, we started in to what is a cold snap for our area here in Washington, and about two weeks into this cold weather, two more started molting. I’m not implying the two are related, but it does make you kind of wonder at times. Just enjoy the behavior, I guess.

Acres4Me,
Put your birds that are 16 weeks and older on Nutrena Feather Fixer. It's especially for molting birds. Brings in stunning new feathers and sometime the girls will lay thru the molt. I got wonderful results with it on my flock of Light Sussex when another BYCer recommended it to me.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

It is odd to have a bird that age go thru a full molt, especially this time of year.
I have had them do a partial molt at under a year but in the fall/winter.
It could have something to do with the supplemental lighting,
have had older lit birds full molt in spring.

Oh, and, I've seen a reduction in laying the last couple weeks, after full on burst of production during Jan/Feb.

Back
Top Bottom