molting/protein?

I am still reading so you may have already had this info, but the only way to get GMO free feed with our current labeling standards is to buy organic. Organic standards prohibit GMO grains or other foods. Most non GMO feed providers will tell you that they are either corn and soy free (the 2 biggest GMO grains). I get GMO free and not organic feed most of the time. The cost of GMO free feed can be a challenge at times, but it is worth it. 

I think Organic is the best bet to get the least chemicals, but have been told multiple times that there really is no such thing as GMO-free corn or soy anymore ... It all gets mixed up by nature, etc. It really peeves me there isn't a "choice" any more.

Also, if buying soy-free vegetarian feed it might be Canola protein ... Canola is just as GMO as soy.

Field peas don't start at a very high protein percentage, so after mixing in the nutrients needed for digesting them and the other things the chickens need, one doesn't end up with a very high protein level.

There is a lot to consider.

My chickens are also going through their moult. I am a hunter and decided to do something a little off the wall. I just came back from hunting and got a mule deer. After processing my deer i gave them the cleaned section of the neck as it always has meat left on it. I cant think of anything more organic then that and high in protein. It is nice amd cool here in Colorado so it wont spoil for a while. They were tearing it up today after i gave it to them. This is a little unorthodoxed but what the hey. They do like it.

As a vegetarian, I can tell you tofu is a much better (and cheaper) source of protein when you consider the fact that it's fairly low in calories (in other words, you're getting more protein and a LOT less fat and no cholesterol compared to meat). A healthier bang for your buck, because who wants obese chickens?
D.gif
Having said that, I give my own hens mealworms, cat food and peanuts. They also love lowfat yogurt and cottage cheese sprinkled with wheat germ or flaxseed.

We fill our freezer every fall/winter with venison and share with lots of critters. As for fat, it happens to be a good treat for all birds in winter and with venison there is almost zero fat in the meat (it's all.most completely on the outside ) making it an extremely high protein, low calorie choice compared to chemical laden feedlot commercial beef.

The chooks get a leg bone to pick on (we already have snow so spoiling isn't a problem), we save the fat to put in the suet feeders for the snow birds and woodpeckers later in the winter andd the ribcage goes out in the field for the wintering eagles for a Christmas dinner :)

My chickens are also going through their moult. I am a hunter and decided to do something a little off the wall. I just came back from hunting and got a mule deer. After processing my deer i gave them the cleaned section of the neck as it always has meat left on it. I cant think of anything more organic then that and high in protein. It is nice amd cool here in Colorado so it wont spoil for a while. They were tearing it up today after i gave it to them. This is a little unorthodoxed but what the hey. They do like it.

:thumbsup

why bother to smash the peanuts...buy peanut rejects (sold as wild bird food) and the chickens gobble them up!!

I also like the idea of cat food...you can check the protein content on the bag, (dry cat food)....I know my hens will eat any cat food I put out......they actually come to my patio door and beg for it....!!!

As a vegetarian, I can tell you tofu is a much better (and cheaper) source of protein when you consider the fact that it's fairly low in calories (in other words, you're getting more protein and a LOT less fat and no cholesterol compared to meat). A healthier bang for your buck, because who wants obese chickens?
D.gif
Having said that, I give my own hens mealworms, cat food and peanuts. They also love lowfat yogurt and cottage cheese sprinkled with wheat germ or flaxseed.

Chickens are not vegetarians. Animal proteins are superior to plant proteins. It is your choice to be vegetarian, but chickens are omnivores, and I have seen the benefits of animal proteins for chickens first hand over the years, compared to those being raised on only a plant based protein diet. Here is some more information on the benefits of animal proteins in poultry diets: http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/poultry/multistate/Multi State Poultry.pdf
Multi-State Poultry Meeting
May 14-16, 2002
Gary G. Pearl, D.V.M.
Historical Perspective
The use of animal protein for poultry feed has been reported to occur as early as the
1880’s even prior to the establishment of a rendering industry. Perhaps the first
species to utilize animal protein was poultry as the byproducts from country
slaughterhouses and on farm butchering that were air-dried and “the tankage” sold by
the barrel for chicken feed. Scott et. al. (1969) in Nutrition of the Chicken wrote, “Early experience has demonstrated protein
sources such as fish meal, meat scraps and dried skim milk when added to poultry diets, produced results which were vastly
superior to those obtained with similar diets containing only plant proteins”.

Back
Top Bottom