Mom, Dad, and Son -- UPDATE! New gosling!

grubbygirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Willamette Valley, OR
I've got a trio of Toulouse geese: A male (Indi), a female (Piper), and their only son (we missed an egg, they hatched it). His name is Andy. Piper and Indi raised Andy entirely on their own, and he is most definitely not a tame goose by any stretch of the word. I think he's been handled 3 or 4 times his entire life. It's quite silly -- he's 2 years old now and ended up being the largest of the 3 geese! They still treat him like their precious baby, and he still hides behind Mom and Dad when his bluster fails.

We've got a flock of 6 ducks (which is a whole 'nother tale), and this breeding season has been truly awful in that the 2 ganders have been chasing the ducks and ganging up on them to attack them once they've got them pinned. The geese have always been kind of clannish and keep to themselves, but they've never been violent before. It got so bad that I penned off part of the yard for the geese (who are, rather laughably, scared to death of the 4 chickens). The pen actually works in another way in that I have been wanting to try to tame the geese again, so I have been going into their pen every day and working with them according to hair-brained theories entirely of my own making.

My current theory regarding Andy and the increasingly aggressive behavior from all 3 geese is that Andy has probably reached sexual maturity -- and I feel this theory of mine is greatly bolstered by the fact that for the past 2 days I have observed Andy attempting to mate with his father in the swimming pool. Yep. Not pretty.

At last, my question: What can be done for poor Andy? I'm sure it can't be as simple as adding another female to the flock, but....I'm willing to believe it if you nice people say so! Knowing my luck, Andy would probably reject his mail-order bride, or she would be annexed by dear old Dad and become his stepmother or something. It just doesn't seem right for him to be on his own, without a mate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, folks. I really do not want to add another bird to the madness, but I want my flock to be content, and I would like to see peace restored (such as it is!).

Thanks in advance!

******* UPDATE *********

I had my heart set on a Pilgrim gosling (I'm a huge fan of the auto-sexing), but it didn't look like I was going to be able to find one. All of the hatcheries were either sold out, only sold in pairs, or required a large number of birds per order -- and I only wanted one female. It seemed I had set my sights quite high!

Finally -- FINALLY! -- my obsessive Craigslist searches paid off, and I happened upon a woman in my area who was hatching a clutch of Pilgrim eggs. I emailed her immediately; she was beyond kind and friendly, and she put me on the waiting list for a female gosling. I waited on pins and needles for weeks and finally got an email from her saying that my girl had arrived. So exciting! I felt like I should be passing out cigars. We met up to do the gosling exchange, and she was even nicer in person. Bird people are the best, I swear.

We named our little girl Violet, and she's about 3 days old now. This is the first time I've ever raised a single birdling on its own, and I have to say the very idea made me sad and vaguely uncomfortable. However, I work from home so she's with me all the time, either on my lap or close by in her brooder. I take her with me when I have to go out -- I bundle her up in a tiny flannel blanket and tuck her into my shirt, and she's as content as a mouse.

Any tips on eventually integrating her into the flock? I plan on raising her entirely indoors until she's just about full-sized, but I am trying to decide the best way to transition her when the time comes. I would like her to be tame -- we let Andy's parents raise him, and the fear he exhibits towards his humans really bothers me due to the fact that it seems to cause all of the geese so much distress. I would like Violet to trust me when she's grown, but I also wonder if she will be stressed when she goes to live outside full-time. I read somewhere that tame and imprinted geese can develop personality issues when they're separated from the humans that raised them and then sent outside to live. I don't know if it's actually true, but it does seem to explain the change in attitude that we observed with our first pair of geese: sweet and tame as indoor babies, surly and distrustful as outdoor birds. I don't want to make the same possible mistakes with the new gosling, but on the other hand, I want her to be easily accepted by the other 3 geese when she's grown. So I'm wondering if I should let them all see each other every day between now and then.

Advice? Am I over-thinking this? I don't want Violet to fear me when she's grown (and ideally I would love for us to remain friends and possibly even continue to cuddle), but I most importantly I want her to have a happy, stress-free goose life.

Whoops. I forgot to add a picture! Hopefully this works....

29175_1476718477404_1216997688_31378503_2728667_n.jpg

4627561319_1df418bd46.jpg

4627559979_cdaab36f24.jpg

Last edited:
Andy needs a mate. It's as simple as that. He needs his own girl or he needs a new home. Its great that he isn't fighting dad yet, but he probably will. Two males and one female is a recipe for a seriously injured or dead goose. I would look for another female this spring and raise him up a girl friend.

Mine are all bluster too.
roll.png
How anything that big can be such a coward is beyond me.

Thank you so much! Oh, that's a relief to hear. I was sure it was going to end up being more complicated than that!

I've been phoning all of the local feed stores looking for goslings, but all they've got are straight runs. Same with Craigslist. Also, they only seem to have Chinese and Embdens, and I've got my heart set on a matching Toulouse (although I'm sure it makes no difference to Andy) or possibly a Pilgrim -- I've got this fantasy that adding a more docile goose to the bunch will help sway the others over to my side, although I'm sure what's really going to happen is they're going to immediately convince her that I'm working for the Devil and begin planning their siege upon my house.

Lol. Let us know if you can find any! I am in Kentucky and there are around a dozen two year old pure bred Toulouse running free at the park...

I'm still searching for a devoted life partner for Andy! It isn't going very well thus far. Argh.

I'm really leaning heavily towards a breed that is sexually dimorphic -- it would be a terrible disaster if I ended up with a third male. I'm totally open to acquiring an adult goose, but I also wouldn't mind the opportunity to raise a tame gosling. I'm considering Holderreads because they're within driving distance (and I only want one bird), and I am somewhat intrigued by their auto-sexing Shetland geese (they no longer have Pilgrims).

My question is this: Is it a really bad idea to pair a lightweight goose with a heavyweight gander? Should Andy stick to his own weight class? I'm overly paranoid about accidentally bringing home another gander, but most importantly I want all of the birds to be happy and content -- I don't want life to be miserable for Andy's future mate.

Advice?

The complication I see is that Violet may become totally imprinted on YOU, and not know she is actually a goose. This is exactly the kind of situation I can see myself getting into, because like you my geese are persons with individual needs and desires and I want to meet them
smile.png

I would expose Violet to the other geese (with you nearby, she probably won't let you out of her sight anyway) for a period of time per day, when she's old enough to go outside (and it's warm enough).

The complication is in how geese imprint, and maybe I too am overthinking it. There are folks with a ton of experience here that will hopefully chime in.

My direct experience is with integrating four female Toulouse into a flock of six ganders. The girls were about four weeks old, imprinted on each other and semi imprinted on me. Even so, they were unafraid of the big geese, who adopted them and I never got close to them again lol. It felt like a loss for me but the girls were happy and the boys, especially happy
big_smile.png

I'd almost let Violet, when older, spend most of her time with the big geese but with a lot of interaction with you, so she'll know you are part of the flock too.

Thanks for the input, Kim! I will be sad if she runs off with the other geese and forgets about me, but like I said, the most important thing for me is whatever is best for Violet and the other geese. If they're happy, I'm happy.

Incidentally, I have been working with my 3 adult geese in the meantime. I fenced off part of my yard with some makeshift "fencing" and have been spending a lot of time with them, sitting on the ground in the pen and talking to them quietly and whatnot. Now that breeding season is over, their moods have improved drastically, and it has been very easy for me to make inroads with them. I made a point of going into their pen with a scoop of feed and then not dispensing it until they had all calmed down. Andy still hangs back behind his parents and probably always will, but he will now join his parents at their meals, which I always pour into their dish by my feet. This is something he would never do before because he didn't want to come anywhere near me. And Papa Indi used to get really overstimulated by the pouring of the food and would become furious and bite the plastic scoop, but I would just gently move his head aside each time he tried to bite. It's the craziest thing, but I could actually see him start to realize, "Wait. Why am I attacking this thing?" and now he only rarely gets overstimulated and tries to latch onto the scoop. I did the same thing when Indi would start to rush me. I stood my ground, remained squatting, and gently deflected his advancing beak. This method worked amazingly fast, and much like the scoop incident he would stop charging, stand still for a moment, and shake his head as if he couldn't remember why he was so angry in the first place. Then he'd chatter to himself and wander off to do goose things.

It makes me very happy that the geese now associate me with chow time and start to chatter amicably when they see me, whilst walking expectantly over to their food dish. My presence is no longer heralded by shrieks of alarm and rage. I don't feed them from my hand, but I like to chop up apples for them and scatter the pieces by my feet, and they are perfectly happy to approach me and help themselves to the goodies.

I don't think I will ever be able to really pet them or enjoy laptime cuddles with them like we used to, but they are no longer afraid of the mere sight of me. I can see that things will continue to improve, and hopefully Violet will put in a good word for me when it's time for her to leave the nest (so to speak!).

Food makes more inroads than to a man's heart
big_smile.png
Did you hand raise Indi and Piper? I wonder if parenthood and the strong protection instinct over Andy made them more standoffish of you?

My two geese are pretty imprinted on me but do not appreciate being handled. I cuddled them as babies but as adults, they aren't as amenable. The gander gets hyperstimulated but the goose will sit on my lap as long as I sit very still.

I would love a completely imprinted goose, but will the goose be happy? Unless they can be around you 24/7, as they are with each other in nature, and I mean go to the store with you, sleep nearby, etc etc, it's too hard on the goose. You probably take Violet into the bathroom with you, ask me how I know
big_smile.png
Sounds like it's a perfect set up with you and Violet, but I would have such a hard time letting her go, too. If it's for her happiness as a goose, it's a small sacrifice. And Andy is probably very handsome, and could stand to get out from beneath his parent's protecting feathers hee hee and be a man
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom