More MicešŸ˜­

Hey all I really need your help! So I keep all of my animal feed and hay in my shed. I've seen mice in there before eating my grain so I set out the old-fashioned Victor mouse traps. So far I have caught 6 but they keep persisting. I'm so on edge everytime I go in there that 1 is going to jump out at me I hate going in there now! I know it sounds dumbšŸ˜‚. So my question is, is there anything other than traps I can do? Like any sort of trick?? Kind of like how you can hang a plastic bag or CD out to deter birds???? I really need help it's getting super annoying. Thank you all in advance!
Simple Green. We pour it into cups and leave them sitting around our outbuildings and in our campers. Works amazingly well. We mop our garage floors with it, as well. No issues there with them getting into the dog food bags since we started mopping with it.

We went with the professionally made 5 gallon bucket traps ultimately, but there was nothing like the enjoyment of watching a homemade trap. There are lots of instructions on how to build these on the Googles, but quick down and dirty -

Rolling log trap - snip off the straight portion of a coat hanger. Drill a hole in the top and bottom of a beer or soda can. Place it on the coat hanger so it spins like a log. Run the ends of the coat hanger on drilled holes at the top of the 5 gallon bucket. Construct a ramp that goes to the top of the bucket. Smear peanut butter in the middle of the can. We yielded 10 mice the first night in a badly infested chicken run.

IMG_1156.jpeg

Second design (more effective in my opinion) - The homemade Flip and Slide - Cut the straight part of a coat hanger. Create two holes into a paper plate with about 70% of the plate on one side of the holes and 30% on the other side. Install it on top of the bucket like shown below. Smear peanut butter on the smaller side. Create a ramp to the top. Important - Install a string or fishing line below the plate that prevents the plate from going beyond an 85 degree position (when the trap is activated). We used a small piece of gaffing tape to do this. The string will prevent your plate from flipping over completely and aid it in going back to the set position. 14 mice in one night with 2 traps.

IMG_1158.jpeg

Hey all I really need your help! So I keep all of my animal feed and hay in my shed. I've seen mice in there before eating my grain so I set out the old-fashioned Victor mouse traps. So far I have caught 6 but they keep persisting. I'm so on edge everytime I go in there that 1 is going to jump out at me I hate going in there now! I know it sounds dumbšŸ˜‚. So my question is, is there anything other than traps I can do? Like any sort of trick?? Kind of like how you can hang a plastic bag or CD out to deter birds???? I really need help it's getting super annoying. Thank you all in advance!
I totally understand your concern. Rats were invading my chicken coop and like you, I was terrified. They were huge. I set traps from Amazon but they figured that out. I have a camera that my husband set up so I can watch the coop for possums and racoons. What works for me now is: I take out the feed from the coop before nightfall and return the feeder early next morning. No food, no rats.

Wow! I'll have to make a bucket trap!! They sound awesome! Thanks a lot guys! I caught #8 this morningšŸ˜‚

Dealing with rodents is very simple. You have to stop feeding them. Then they leave or revert back to natural food they have to hustle to find and that lets predators thin their numbers down quickly.

Get the feed in metal trash cans or steel drums. Buy a real rat proof treadle feeders, not one of the Chinese made ones like the Grandpa feeder. Taking the feed in at night helps but the rodents happily eat during the day.

Not much in most hay that will support a large population of rodents. It takes grain to support a large population.

I thought maybe I missed it but it doesn't sound like your feed in your shed is secure. Is it just bagged in there? Dealing with holes in the bags and setting up rodent traps sounds like alot more work than dumping feed in galvanized garbage bins, therefore eliminating what the mice are in there to get in the first place.

I thought maybe I missed it but it doesn't sound like your feed in your shed is secure. Is it just bagged in there? Dealing with holes in the bags and setting up rodent traps sounds like alot more work than dumping feed in galvanized garbage bins, therefore eliminating what the mice are in there to get in the first place.
Yes my shed is not very secure. I moved all open feed bags in a metal tool box my Dad had laying around. But they are eating the hay now! They jump out and scare the death outa mešŸ¤£!! And my shed looks like a dump because of all the mouse feces. Any ideas about hay?? We buy in bulk most of the time.

Yes my shed is not very secure. I moved all open feed bags in a metal tool box my Dad had laying around. But they are eating the hay now! They jump out and scare the death outa mešŸ¤£!! And my shed looks like a dump because of all the mouse feces. Any ideas about hay?? We buy in bulk most of the time.
Oh that would not work for me either, lol! Snakes and mice or rats jumping on me would be the fastest way for me to die of a heart attack! So yeah, I keep my hay in galvanized garbage cans too! Chicken hay that is. When I had horses, my hay was up in a loft. No mice thanks to barn kitties and the fact that they could not get to my grain.

Put your feed in metal containers so the mice canā€™t get to it. They are not going to leave a free meal.

Back
Top Bottom