Most likely to go broody hens?

My 2 year old FBCM hen has gone broody three times in the past year-and-a-half, my year old Ameraucana has gone broody once, and my year old silkie hen has also gone broody once

Games are unequal in being great broodies and mothers. They also act more like a wild bird in the respect of taking care of thier brood. They know how to hide them, defens them to the death etc which comes from careful single selective breeding. That's a bonus as opposed to just free breeding of regular layer chickens focusing on egg production and nothing else. They will have to be housed singly especially with chicks. They will fight both males and females to the death like stated above.

Never heard of them before. Did a quick search. They seem to be a project bird. Have you found a breeder? IMHO they're not the best breed you could get for your situation. Look into gamefowl, or phoenix. Or just get more OEGBs

There is one near where i live. Currently he’s selling hatching eggs.

Interesting, thought they'd be more rare. But again, IMO you'll be way better off with any of the breeds mentioned above. These mixes (referring to Aloha chickens) seem too stocky to be good tree rangers in a high predation area. The males definitely can't fly well enough, the colour of both sexes also isn't in their favor, they just sound like a Mediterranean bird with more meat and some broodiness

Interesting, thought they'd be more rare. But again, IMO you'll be way better off with any of the breeds mentioned above. These mixes (referring to Aloha chickens) seem too stocky to be good tree rangers in a high predation area. The males definitely can't fly well enough, the colour of both sexes also isn't in their favor, they just sound like a Mediterranean bird with more meat and some broodiness
I probably won’t use them for that. I’ll let it up to my friend. I do think he shuts them up at night.

There is one near where i live. Currently he’s selling hatching eggs.
I suggest asking the breeder whether his Alohas have the traits you are looking for.

Chickens from one breeder can have slightly different traits than the ones from another breeder, even when they are the "same" breed. This is true even with established pure breeds, but is even more true with breeds or colors that are still in development. (Crossing in another breed to improve one trait can also change many other traits, including how broody they are.) So just asking the breeder will be the best way to predict whether chicks from HIS line of Alohas are likely to go broody as adults.

Back
Top Bottom