Most sale-able rooster breed?

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I'm building a homemade incubator, which means I will need to test it by hatching some eggs. Probably multiple times :D

Not picky on breed, but I'd like something where I might be able to rehome the males and not just cull them for food.

Any suggestions for breeds where males are especially valued? Maybe flyties, Onagadori, etc ?

(I know that I can sell unsexed chicks, but for the sake of discussion lets focus on valuable rooster breeds)

Buyers are picky about gamefowl though, right? Would anyone want gamefowl hatched out of eggs I bought off ebay?

Depends on how good the chicks come out, but no. That holds true for every breed though. Serious breeders who will be the ones you're trying to reach, no matter the breed will want quality roosters

The only problem with that is the eggs will be more expensive... the best test eggs are free or inexpensive, lol.

I think it depends a lot on your local market what people will prefer.
Around here most rare breed roos are easy to move, mixed are really hard. The main motivation to buy someone else's rooster is to put him over their hens to make specific popular mixes or for flock improvement.
You may also want to start with eggs that are easy to candle. Knowing when eggs quit (if they do) would make it a lot easier to troubleshoot.

The only problem with that is the eggs will be more expensive... the best test eggs are free or inexpensive, lol.

I think it depends a lot on your local market what people will prefer.
Around here most rare breed roos are easy to move, mixed are really hard. The main motivation to buy someone else's rooster is to put him over their hens to make specific popular mixes or for flock improvement.
You may also want to start with eggs that are easy to candle. Knowing when eggs quit (if they do) would make it a lot easier to troubleshoot.
Oh yeah, I'll use my barnyard eggs for the first few rounds. After that, "testing" will be an excuse to keep hatching :D

So, it sounds like only serious breeders ever buy roosters, and even then I'd have to hatch some show-quality chicks. :(

I'm willing to consider eggs of other species. Quail? Duck? Platypus? Is there any demand for male versions of those??

So, it sounds like only serious breeders ever buy roosters, and even then I'd have to hatch some show-quality chicks. :(

In my area:
I've had good demand for real Ameraucana roos from regular backyard keepers who want to make EE's / OE's.
I've had great response to Genetic Hackle roos, rehoming all but my favorites for a good price. People liked the idea of having something pretty to go with their layers.
And good temperaments in roos is a selling point, as long as they're old enough to make that claim validly.
However, it's not like I made any money on them, with feed and all.
I was more concerned with finding comfortable situations for good boys to make more room for the next gen and to be selective in my breeding program.

I never had a problem selling my extra Spitzhauben cockerels at swaps. But I sell them cheap and I don’t ask questions.

I don’t know where you live, but here in Wisconsin, Silkies, Cochin bantams, and duckwing/wheaten breeds, are always bought first by the Hmong folks looking for an eating bird. Also large bantams in general.
But that depends on if you have a Hmong population in your area and if you are totally opposed to the buyer using them for food or just don’t want to do the deed yourself.

Back
Top Bottom