Mottled Ameruacana Roo over Isabella Ameruacana hens?

ZiptieYard

Chirping
Dec 30, 2023
I impulse purchased a few new birds lately. 1:4 Mottled Ameruacana birds and a pair of Isabel Am. hens. Would I correctly assume that the dilute gene would be carried only in the F1 and express itself when a carrier F1 cockerel is bred to a carrier pullet, I can see expect to find lavender mottled birds. Does anyone else have experience with this cross or is it ill advised?

I impulse purchased a few new birds lately. 1:4 Mottled Ameruacana birds and a pair of Isabel Am. hens. Would I correctly assume that the dilute gene would be carried only in the F1 and express itself when a carrier F1 cockerel is bred to a carrier pullet,
Yes, that is correct.

I can see expect to find lavender mottled birds. Does anyone else have experience with this cross or is it ill advised?
When you breed the F1 cockerel to the F1 pullet, you should get lavender mottled in about 1/16 of chicks. Another 3/16 will show lavender but not show mottling, and 3/16 will show mottling but not lavender. The other 9/16 will not show lavender or mottling. There will also be quite a few that carry lavender or mottling or both, even when they do not show it.

Thank you folks. I’m trying to figure out the color genetics. Lol. It’s much more a science than I had ever gathered.

Aren't Isabel Ameraucana lavender wheaten?
You're gonna have both extended black and wheaten in play with the F1 crossing so there's gonna be a lot of different outcomes.
Not even trying to list them all.

Valid point. I figure the mottled birds will breed true, and the couple odd balls will show different. Luckily I don’t mind an experiment. Especially a free one. Lol.

Valid point. I figure the mottled birds will breed true, and the couple odd balls will show different. Luckily I don’t mind an experiment. Especially a free one. Lol.
You may get a few that show mottling on a non-black base (with or without lavender dilution.)

Mottling, lavender, and Extended Black vs. wheaten are controlled by different genes, so they will be able to appear in any combination in the F2 and later generations. The dominant genes will show up most often (not-mottled, not-lavender, Extended Black), and the recessive genes less often (mottled, lavender dilution, wheaten), with the triple recessive being rarest of all (mottled Isabella).

I've done it... The main issue is breeding Wheaten base to Black base results in a lot of leaky black cockerels (gold in Hackle feathers and even some saddles).
They were hard to rehome, even free and as pure Ameraucana because they can't be used to breed good blacks or good Wheaten base colors.
The next generation with Lavender showing up had leaky lavender cockerels, again with gold. One was so leaky he looked almost Isabel... But he wasn't. Third generation might have yielded a decent lavender, maybe not, but we didn't get that far.

I decided to leave them out of my mess. Lol. Mottled pen, Barred/Cuckoo pen, and a BBS pen are good for now. Thank you everyone!

Back
Top Bottom