Mottled x self red

gootziecat

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 27, 2007
Dover TN
I have a question regarding the genetics of mottled. If a black mottled was bred to a self red, I assume F1 would be black and black mottled. Would there be leakage? F2 bred together should give red mottled as well as black mottled, correct? Or would this breeding be a poor choice and muddy up everything?

Thank you.

I have a question regarding the genetics of mottled. If a black mottled was bred to a self red, I assume F1 would be black and black mottled. Would there be leakage? F2 bred together should give red mottled as well as black mottled, correct? Or would this breeding be a poor choice and muddy up everything?

Thank you.
Mottling is recessive, so you won't get it in the first generation.

Red leakage is a possibility.

F1 will be black with red leakage, no mottling. When you breed F1, than you will get 25% mottled birds, but only 1/4 of them will be some kind of red mottling. I say some kind of red, because the red, like in Rhode Island Red is made of 4 main genes and during the first and second cross those genes will be split and will be difficult to bring them back together.
For me it will be much easy to get mottling from red bird like Speckled Sussex, or Swedish Flower Hen and mix them with RIR, if that is what you call self red.

F1 will be black with red leakage, no mottling. When you breed F1, than you will get 25% mottled birds, but only 1/4 of them will be some kind of red mottling. I say some kind of red, because the red, like in Rhode Island Red is made of 4 main genes and during the first and second cross those genes will be split and will be difficult to bring them back together.
For me it will be much easy to get mottling from red bird like Speckled Sussex, or Swedish Flower Hen and mix them with RIR, if that is what you call self red.
Thank you very much for your help. I had bantam Cochins in mind but don't want the vulture hocks so many lines are plagued with, getting the millie fleur or red gene. I don't care if it's a millie fleur, but would like to breed black mottled and red mottled, separately. Bantam Cochins come in both colors so there wouldn't be any other type thrown in the mix. And yes, my definition of self red is solid red, ie, RIR.

RIR aren't self red.
Self red is solid red, no black. It's a little harder to get back to then a red Columbian or black tailed red.
Your F1 crosses will produce a slew of slightly different patterns.

RIR aren't self red.
Self red is solid red, no black. It's a little harder to get back to then a red Columbian or black tailed red.
Your F1 crosses will produce a slew of slightly different patterns.
You are correct. RIR isn't self red. A red cochin would be correct. Thank you for catching that. My original thoughts with this thread was breeding black mottled and red mottled Cochin bantams, each color on a different bird. The columbian gene wouldn't be necessary, I would think, unless I wanted to get a millie fleur color.

Back
Top Bottom