Mourning doves pals with chickens

Shalom Farm

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Florida
I was ready to turn the flock out the other day and noticed a pair of morning doves amongst the chickens. Of course, they enjoy picking up their scraps and sneaking in for warmth... Is it safe for my flock though? I know several people in the area own doves, pigeons, etc. I don't see them banded. They aren't particularly shy of people.

I really don't mind them if they aren't a risk to the flock. Since they free range, the come into contact with sparrows, crows, robins, etc. all the time. None of those birds though have the gal to come into the coop and make themselves at home though!

I had doves show up last spring, they've made themeselves at home and had babies last year, so this year I have more doves lol. As you said, they're in and out of the run, along with the permanent flock of sparrows, the finches, scrub jays, etc. I have no problems with disease or parasites.

Ok, thanks, just wasn't sure if Doves and chickens mixed well in the same coop or not. I know ducks and chickens generally can have issues, just wanted to be sure.

On the doves part it is completely voluntary. The chickens are big enough to take care of any dove that wants to get uppity, and if the chickens get nasty, the doves can just fly the coop.

Just remember not to turn those doves into "pets" by closing them up in the coop on purpose for extended periods of tome. They are migratory game birds, so stiff penalties if you purposefully capture them.

Back
Top Bottom