Movable chicken coop run skirting?

Country chicken lady 2024

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2024
Hi, so I am building a temporary movable chicken run that will marry up to the movable coop (very well built and predator proof).

This is what I have so far. I have 1 side and some to find some scrap hardware cloth to cover with and add some side support boards. It’s light weight (1x2) and 6x8ft.

***SO, my question is if I do chicken wire on top (and tarp over it) and do chicken wire skirting (that will be not attached but staked to the ground lining the perimeter of the run) this should be fine?***

Laying Chickens will be in coop at night, but we do have all the predators!

The laying chickens will be in this when I am growing meat birds in the bullet proof tractor for a few months of the year, so this run I am building is a temporary home for a few months of the year.

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    709.9 KB · Views: 80
My 2 cents...

Temporary should be just as bullet proof as permanent especially knowing there are predators around.

I would do serious beefing up of the framing. Any predator apron that is properly pinned down should be very difficult to pull pins up. I use the 12" long narrow crown edging pins for mine even in my hard clay soil.

My 2 cents...

Temporary should be just as bullet proof as permanent especially knowing there are predators around.

I would do serious beefing up of the framing. Any predator apron that is properly pinned down should be very difficult to pull pins up. I use the 12" long narrow crown edging pins for mine even in my hard clay soil.
What kind of beefing up? I already have spent $400 on a wheel lift kit for the heavy bullet proof tractor I built, really can’t spend another $400 for this one if it gets heavier. And yes I’ve tried to build a wheel system and it doesn’t work for me so that isn’t an option

Sorry but I agree with 21hens-incharge 🤷‍♀️
Just because it’s temporary it doesn’t mean that the predators are going to keep away. Probably the opposite as they will be curious.
On the other hand I can see your point of view and the cost for something temporary can easily spiral.
I do think, however, that chicken wire, despite its name, is just not strong enough for hens. Do you have any heavy duty wood or sheet metal you can get your hands on ? Temporarily ?
Also what is the thickness of the uprights ? They look like they could easily snap ? It may just be the photo ?
Good luck

Sorry but I agree with 21hens-incharge 🤷‍♀️
Just because it’s temporary it doesn’t mean that the predators are going to keep away. Probably the opposite as they will be curious.
On the other hand I can see your point of view and the cost for something temporary can easily spiral.
I do think, however, that chicken wire, despite its name, is just not strong enough for hens. Do you have any heavy duty wood or sheet metal you can get your hands on ? Temporarily ?
Also what is the thickness of the uprights ? They look like they could easily snap ? It may just be the photo ?
Good luck
I don’t have anything solid for the top. Plan like I mentioned is chicken wire and cover it with a tarp because of the horrendous Texas sun.

Sides are all hardwire cloth.

The corners are 2x2 and the plan for the upright supports will be 1x4.

On the short sides is where I will have a human door and then the other end the entry into the coop from the run so the ends will have extra support because of the doors.

For The long sides I could add a middle horizontal bar in addition to the vertical bars

Last edited:
I don’t have anything solid for the top. Plan like I mentioned is chicken wire and cover it with a tarp because of the horrendous Texas sun.

Sides are all hardwire cloth.

The corners are 2x2 and the plan for the upright supports will be 1x4.

On the short sides is where I will have a human door and then the other end the entry into the coop from the run so the ends will have extra support because of the doors.

For The long sides I could add a middle horizontal bar.
Yeah I think that would be good, it would be a good idea, if possible, to put it near to the house or where there is some human movement at best can I go against a wall so it gets support and shelter from one side.

Yeah I think that would be good, it would be a good idea, if possible, to put it near to the house or where there is some human movement at best can I go against a wall so it gets support and shelter from one side.
Depending on how hard the girls are on the ground, especially in the summer drought, depends on how close the run can be to the house.

Another plan could be is to have them follow the meat birds in the electric poultry netting in their run, to scratch their poops in (while I raise meat birds) and then then the time I don’t raise the meat, I might use the poultry netting to be their perimeter fencing (it’s just so ugly haha, it’s hard to look at it for the few months when I raise meat).

Back
Top Bottom