Moved to brooder Day 3...not eating or drinking yet

seberger22

Chirping
May 25, 2017
The chick seems to be really strong, but unfortunately it's a lone ranger so far.
I dipped its beak in sugar water, but it hasn't eaten or drank on its own yet.
Anything I can do??

Nothing :(
I don't think it is warm enough because it is huddling under the light and laying out under it.
How do I make it warmer if my light doesn't get any warmer?

Ducklings can do fine without warmth. I’ve raised ducklings with no heat at all. What temp is it ? The adviced temp for ducklings is 90-92 degrees for the first 3 days, then 85-90 degrees for days 4 to 7. Therefore after, drop the temperature by approximately 5 degrees per week until they are fully feathered.

Ducklings can do fine without warmth. I’ve raised ducklings with no heat at all. What temp is it ? The adviced temp for ducklings is 90-92 degrees for the first 3 days, then 85-90 degrees for days 4 to 7. Therefore after, drop the temperature by approximately 5 degrees per week until they are fully feathered.
Well this is a chick.
Last year I used this same lamp and it worked fine, but the thermometer is just saying in the upper 70s right now :( What can I do? Will a space heater nearby help or is that too drafty?

Are you expecting other chicks soon? If you are using a heat lamp you can lower it down but be very careful that it is secured really well and not so low that the chick overheats. If other chicks are expected soon that will help with the warmth issue. Can you possibly set up a Mama heat pad? If not familiar with it, look it up on here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-picture-heavy-update.956958/#post-14882145. This is an excellent option and safer than the heat lamp IMHO.
As to the eating question, the chick should eat very soon but like you said as it is not warm enough, that will be its first priority. Warm it up and it will eat.

Are you expecting other chicks soon? If you are using a heat lamp you can lower it down but be very careful that it is secured really well and not so low that the chick overheats. If other chicks are expected soon that will help with the warmth issue. Can you possibly set up a Mama heat pad? If not familiar with it, look it up on here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-picture-heavy-update.956958/#post-14882145. This is an excellent option and safer than the heat lamp IMHO.
As to the eating question, the chick should eat very soon but like you said as it is not warm enough, that will be its first priority. Warm it up and it will eat.
It is eating, drinking, and pooping now!! Yay!! Thanks so much for your help! Maybe it just needed a little nap after its big move!

Back
Top Bottom