Ch2098

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2021
Hi all,

I’m currently mid duckling hatch, we’re well experienced with chickens but this is our first attempt at hatching ducklings.

I set 10 duck eggs at the start of the month, they all started wiggling and moving around day 22. Today is day 29 and so far we’ve had 6 successfully pip and hatch themselves, one was pipped and partially zipped for over 24 hours so she had an assisted hatch the evening. We think this could have been a humidity issue as we’re struggling to keep the humidity over 70%. Duckling is fine now, very alert and fluffed up so she’s just joined the others in the brooder.

The remaining three eggs still seem to be wiggling slightly but there’s been no pips so far. I had a quick candle earlier thinking that they they must have died at some point in the last few days but all seem to be fully developed. My question is is there anything I should do? Or should I wait a few more days? Right now it’s the evening of day 29.

Often incubators have warmer and coolers spots so if these eggs have been sitting in cooler areas that can delay them a little. Can you see them moving when you candle? Usually at this stage they are starting to create shadows in the bottom of the air cell, then they pip internally.

You'll know if they die as there will be a watery yellow layer between the shadow of the duckling and the bottom of the air cell. If they still look full and dark then that's a good sign. Fingers crossed they are just taking their time. There's nothing you can do for them until they pip internally (and even then, only when/if it's necessary) as until they are breathing for themselves they are entirely reliant on their egg still.

:fl

Often incubators have warmer and coolers spots so if these eggs have been sitting in cooler areas that can delay them a little. Can you see them moving when you candle? Usually at this stage they are starting to create shadows in the bottom of the air cell, then they pip internally.

You'll know if they die as there will be a watery yellow layer between the shadow of the duckling and the bottom of the air cell. If they still look full and dark then that's a good sign. Fingers crossed they are just taking their time. There's nothing you can do for them until they pip internally (and even then, only when/if it's necessary) as until they are breathing for themselves they are entirely reliant on their egg still.

:fl
The eggs were almost totally dark beside the air sac, I didn’t see a whole lot of movement when candled but it was a very quick candle and back in to the incubator. I didn’t see any shadows but then again maybe I just didn’t know what to look for
All the other ducklings are out of the incubator now so I guess I’ll just go back into full lockdown and cross my fingers! These were posted eggs so I really wasn’t expecting such a good hatch from them!!

Back
Top Bottom