Movement in eggs - when can it "be felt" ?

When can a hen feel movement in her eggs?

• 1 day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 days

• 3 days

• 1 week

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2 weeks

• a day before hatching

• the day of hatching *wiggle wiggle*

• while hatching (just kidding, surely movement can be felt at this point) ☺

• Total voters

ll

Songster
Apr 9, 2011
Cooped up in Connecticut
My Coop
My Coop
I have a broody that is doing a very good job
thumbsup.gif
it's her first time sitting, but certainly not the first time being broody.
The four eggs were candled tonight and three are moving inside!
This spark of life was amazing to see.

So I was wondering if/when my hen can feel this....

Hens have a good idea what's happening in the eggs and they communicate with the chicks when they are near hatching. I saw one of my broodies talk to her unborn chick once. The chicks also communicate with each other before hatching. Isn't nature amazing?

I'm sure the hen can feel it sooner since she's on the constantly, but I can feel chicks moving in the eggs in my hand, and you can see them rolling around the incuabtor by day 19.

sumi - definitely amazing! I didn't know they did that. Thanks for posting!
Hens have a good idea what's happening in the eggs and they communicate with the chicks when they are near hatching. I saw one of my broodies talk to her unborn chick once. The chicks also communicate with each other before hatching. Isn't nature amazing?
haha when I told my DH about them "rolling around in the incubator" he imagined them doing laps around it.
I'm sure the hen can feel it sooner since she's on the constantly, but I can feel chicks moving in the eggs in my hand, and you can see them rolling around the incuabtor by day 19.

It drives me nuts, they all usually end up at one edge right next to each other because they all rolled that direction, then to keep them hatching, I have to move them all back. I've heard of people using different things like egg carton pieces to help keep them still. It's easier for them to hatch that way too supposedly, so I will be trying that for my next hatch in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom