MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

Yep, the Bielefelders are awesome! Hands down the biggest layers I've ever had - ALL the hens lay like that, and I've never had a double yoker! On another note; I found a teeny tiny egg from God knows who, that was a double yoker. The yolks with whites combined were no bigger than a tablespoon. Bizarre!

That is excellent information to have. When I can sneak another batch of chicks into the coop when DH isn't paying attention, I'll definitely look for a couple. =)

My SBEL girls decided yesterday to bless me with cute little eggs....so yesterday & today, here's the pics. I've put them on a white paper plate, obviously a brown egg to compare -- just your normal brown, not Marans -- and I placed a piece of BLUE & Yellow paper which are both primary colors to help out (because I haven't made a trip to a store for paint sample strips). These girls were hatched 2/20-22 so 21 weeks. Not concerned with egg size as it will enlarge as they get older. While the eggs are "blue" they are a tinted, not deep. Doubt that will change much at all. If you lay a teal green by them, it is a little more that type blue.....not "really" green but.....if color was more intense, you would see the blue more easily. Now, since I have these at this stage, I will await the TBWhiting pullets and HOPE color more intense. If that works out, the TBW roo & the BBS roo will be used to make an attempt to add color. You can see the intense primary makes them look different but I wanted to give a contrast. Maybe I will have real blue eggs in Spring. LOL Guess we will have a few more pics coming from you all still waiting. The roos are still mean but, I'm working on that. Searching through hrs of read on here, I found one thread which said that using a Leghorn roo could help to stop/reduce the brown genes for the eggs. May have some merit. May save a life. LOL
What are your observations about the SBEL personalities?

Update: both our SBEL's have now laid their first eggs, first one at 19 weeks, 4 days, and now Ethel at 19 weeks, 6 days. :weee :yesss: The first blue egg (Lucy's) is the one on the right. I'm not sure which egg is which between Ethel and Lucy for the other two, but the color of today's eggs looks a little better, and they were both 1.4oz which is a pretty respectable early egg. The brown eggs are from our GLW. Here they are with the EE's green eggs in the picture for comparison. And here's a picture with just the SBEL's blue and EE's green. With more of them it's easier to see the color difference!
I'm trying to decide whether to get a SBEL or not. How are your girls' personalities? (beautiful eggs!) :)

I'm trying to decide whether to get a SBEL or not. How are your girls' personalities? (beautiful eggs!)
smile.png

Personality wise, neither of mine are walk up and pick them up kind of birds. I will say that this group of chicks was more 'hands off' because it was a busy time and I also had 2 cockerels in the group that I wanted to keep at arm's length. They're pretty light- last weigh in they were 3 1/4lbs at 20 or 21 weeks. One of the pullets started biting at 2 weeks old, like head down, wings out, charge and bite the hand. That didn't turn into inappropriate behavior as far as just being around her-- but I do still watch my fingers when picking her up and handling her. I wouldn't peg that as a SBEL issue in particular, but it's worth noting. They're both calm once caught- but catching these days is done in the coop at night if we need to get our hands on them. The pullets can fly straight up 6-8 or more feet like helicopters. Within the flock they're fine with everyone else- I've got a very mixed flock of 22 with pretty much every color/pattern- haven't noticed any problems that way. One gives me significantly better color than the other in terms of eggs-- they've each given me a large egg in the first couple weeks but most are 1.4-1.6oz, which in my flock is the norm for a pullet starting to lay. They've been very consistent layers since starting.

Overall I'm glad I've got them, especially since I got an SBEL cockerel at the same time. Mine, I guess, has been the abnormal story- got an Ameraucana type as opposed to the White Leghorn types that many have noted as being very aggressive. Ours hasn't had any people or bird aggression issues. He did get suspended from the main flock for a week and change- "his" girls weren't ready for his mating attempts yet, the big girls had nothing to do with him, so he started jumping on the 9 week old pullets. When I brought him back after a couple of "his" started laying, and he'd had time to work on his "game" through the fence, learning to tidbit and dance and so on- no more problems with the 9 week olds because the others were ready. Also probably not a specific SBEL issue, more just normal young cockerel behavior.

Personality wise, neither of mine are walk up and pick them up kind of birds.  I will say that this group of chicks was more 'hands off' because it was a busy time and I also had 2 cockerels in the group that I wanted to keep at arm's length.  They're pretty light- last weigh in they were 3 1/4lbs at 20 or 21 weeks.  One of the pullets started biting at 2 weeks old, like head down, wings out, charge and bite the hand.  That didn't turn into inappropriate behavior as far as just being around her-- but I do still watch my fingers when picking her up and handling her.  I wouldn't peg that as a SBEL issue in particular, but it's worth noting.  They're both calm once caught- but catching these days is done in the coop at night if we need to get our hands on them.  The pullets can fly straight up 6-8 or more feet like helicopters.  Within the flock they're fine with everyone else- I've got a very mixed flock of 22 with pretty much every color/pattern- haven't noticed any problems that way.  One gives me significantly better color than the other in terms of eggs-- they've each given me a large egg in the first couple weeks but most are 1.4-1.6oz, which in my flock is the norm for a pullet starting to lay.   They've been very consistent layers since starting. 

Overall I'm glad I've got them, especially since I got an SBEL cockerel at the same time.  Mine, I guess, has been the abnormal story- got an Ameraucana type as opposed to the White Leghorn types that many have noted as being very aggressive.  Ours hasn't had any people or bird aggression issues.  He did get suspended from the main flock for a week and change- "his" girls weren't ready for his mating attempts yet, the big girls had nothing to do with him, so he started jumping on the 9 week old pullets.  When I brought him back after a couple of "his" started laying, and he'd had time to work on his "game" through the fence, learning to tidbit and dance and so on- no more problems with the 9 week olds because the others were ready.  Also probably not a specific SBEL issue, more just normal young cockerel behavior. 
Thank you very much! That helps a lot! I love the eggs. :)

I was a bit confused when I looked at the MPC Hatching egg page...are the prices listed PER EGG ?

I believe that is for 3 eggs- if you click the drop down box that says "Select One" it shows 3 eggs for $0 which means that the 24.95 is for three, then add whatever the price is for 6 and so on.

They've now got a "bargain" - a "Chick Pack" of 10 SBELs, straight run for $145, so $14.50/chick, though it's "sold out" for all listed dates at the moment.
Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom