Multi-Chick ID Help: Some mysteries to me, and some I'm second guessing.

BrookBottomFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2014
Hi, all! I ordered 15 (+1 "mystery chick") of "Murray's Choice Layers" from McMurray Hatchery, and there are a few I haven't been able to positively identify. They are supposed to be pullets (except for likely the "mystery chick," which I also can't determine). I figured I'd post to see if anyone has any guesses. Thanks in advance for an insight!

1.jpg

1. Smoky gray and yellow down (hard to see the smokiness in the sunlight), developing all white feathers. Yellow legs and beak, rose or pea comb. Slightly larger than other chicks.

2.jpg

2. All black chick, aside from a small lighter colored patch of down near backside on belly. Feathers coming in solid black. Black legs & beak, single comb.

3.jpg

3. Mostly black chick. White on throat, eyebrows, and belly. Feathers coming in solid black. Yellow feet with black shanks, comb is small & looks like it's either a single or possibly a pea comb.

4.jpg

4. Red chick with some darker speckles on feathers. Yellow feet and beak, single comb. I'm guessing a RIR, but am not positive.

5.jpg

5. Lighter red chick with white dot on head. Feathers developing an interesting pattern. Single comb, yellow beak, yellow-to-slightly green legs.

6.jpg

6. I have 4 of these chicks and my best guess is a Silver Spangled Hamburg, but I've never owned one before so I'm unsure. Down was smoky patterned with some yellow, feathers developing with more black. Slate legs and beaks, rose combs.

7.jpg

7. Smallest of the chicks. Brown head with smoky and brown/black patterned down. Developing feathers more slowly than other chicks. Greenish legs, yellow beak, single comb. Best guess is an Egyptian Fayoumi, but again, I've never actually had one so I'm not sure.

8.jpg

8. I think this is one of their "Ameraucana" chicks (Easter Egger), but the head pattern is throwing me off. Others I've ordered through them have had more of a chipmunk pattern, but this one more closely resembles the head of my buttercup chicks. It also has a single comb instead of a pea comb, and no muff/tufts/beard feathers. I know EE's vary a great deal though, but figured I'd see if anyone thought anything else. Slate legs, yellow beak, single comb (which seems to be developing faster than others, so maybe a roo?)

Last edited:
1, 5, 6, 7 I think are ee or o.e
May I ask why you believe they're all EE's? Is it the leg color? I have four of the #6 chicks that all look identical with rose combs. #1 is quite a bit larger than the other chicks and has no patterning at all. #5 & #7 both have single combs, and the breed MM sells for their "Ameraucana" (EE's) are listed as having pea combs and muffs, which was the case in an order of "Ameraucanas" I received from them a few years ago.

Aside from that, I ordered 15 of their "choice layers," and don't believe they'd send over half of them as all one breed, though I suppose anything could happen. 🤷‍♀️

ETA: Photos to clarify. First two show the size difference (and patterns) between #s 1, 5, 7. Second two just show the four that all look the same (#6).

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

Last edited:
May I ask why you believe they're all EE's? Is it the leg color? I have four of the #6 chicks that all look identical with rose combs. #1 is quite a bit larger than the other chicks and has no patterning at all. #5 & #7 both have single combs, and the breed MM sells for their "Ameraucana" (EE's) are listed as having pea combs and muffs, which was the case in an order of 8 "Ameraucanas" I received from them a few years ago.

Aside from that, I ordered 15 of their "choice layers," and don't believe they'd send over half of them as all one breed, though I suppose anything could happen. 🤷‍♀️
Leg color, feather pattern. But it's too young to be certain
They have a few variations of o.e and ee, so they're aren't necessarily one breed. Even ee or americauna aren't one breed.
At this time of year, all the "good chickens" are going to be picked over and sold out, so they may be just filling orders with whatever.

1. Looks like possibly a White Rock.
2 and 3. Could be Black Australorps.
4. Rhode Island Red, or maybe red sex-link.
5. Probably Easter Egger.
6. I too think Silver Spangled Hamburg. The likelihood of getting four EE chicks that look like that and have rose combs is next to none.
7. Could possibly be a Fayoumi, or an EE.
8. Could also be an EE, and is a cockerel.

Leg color, feather pattern. But it's too young to be certain
They have a few variations of o.e and ee, so they're aren't necessarily one breed. Even ee or americauna aren't one breed.
At this time of year, all the "good chickens" are going to be picked over and sold out, so they may be just filling orders with whatever.
These are chicks I ordered in December that shipped directly from a hatchery that plans hatches. I've ordered from them numerous times and don't get "picked over" birds.

These are chicks I ordered in December that shipped directly from a hatchery that plans hatches. I've ordered from them numerous times and don't get "picked over" birds.
Alrighty. Hopefully you have a nice selection.
Hatchery choice means 'whatever we have extra of at the time of ship', it's not added to the amount of eggs to be hatched at any point.

UPDATE PICS:

1a.png

#1: Still not sure. Remains the largest chick. Much "meatier" than the others. It was a smoky color before getting feathers. Thought maybe a white rock or a white Jersey Giant, but it doesn't have the right kind of comb. Maybe just a huge white "Ameraucana" (name McMurray uses).

2a.png
#2: Black chick; still don't know. Based on their website, maybe a Black Star. I messages McMurray on FB and they thought this one could also be a Whiting True Blue.

3a.png
#3: Still up in the air. Could be an Australorp, or something totally different. Haha!

4a.png
#4: Rhode Island Red. Friendliest of the chicks so far.

5a.png
#5. Genuinely no clue. I've guessed so many different breeds, and still don't really know. Single comb and leg color makes me think not an EE ("Ameraucana"), but who knows. This chick is also larger than most of the others.

6a.png
#6: I have 4 of these. I know they're Silver Spangled Hamburgs at this point.

7a.png
#7: Remains the smallest chick. Pretty sure it's an Egyptian Fayoumi. Was brown with some patterning on its back; feathers on back are coming in white and black speckled.

8a.png
#8: The known cockerel of the group, though I still don't know his breed. Feathers are coming in with a pattern similar to my Buttercup girls, though he's obviously a different breed. EE perhaps, or something else (McMurray's EE's supposedly have pea combs, so IDK)?

9.png
#9: (Didn't show one of these guys before) Buttercups. I knew on the first day what they were because of their combs.

Back
Top Bottom