Multiple chickens with bumblefoot.

CuzChickens

CountryChick
7 Years
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
Hey guys,

I have a slight epidemic on my hands......I had a hen with a bumblefoot issue about six weeks ago, I treated her and everything went ok, until I left for the beach for a week. When I returned, she had declined and was getting worse. I kept treating her, and now I have 2 other hens with bumblfoot. Here is my procedure:

1. Cut out scab and remove kernel.
2. Put triple antibiotic cream, tea tree, and frankincense essential oils on the wound.
3. Bandage with gauze and secure with medical tape.
4. change bandage once a day.

I feel like I am treating it properly (any suggestions?), but why is it occurring in multiple hens? Is this a diet issue? I have heard that giving them cooked eggs and uncooked oats helps, so perhaps cook some eggs (1 egg for every 3 hens?) and sprinkle oats on it for a treat once a week to help boost them?

I'd really like some suggestions, I am completely open to criticism and advice!

Thanks guys,

Cuz

I personally would skip the two oils and just use the antibiotic cream . This has nothing to do with diet. Do they have any other symptoms besides the feet issues?

You could soak their feet in a warm Epsom salt bath. That will draw out infection. I'm not for cutting their feet personally. I recently treated a girl with a rather nasty foot. She was limping and one foot was twice the size of the other.
Resized_20170718_165212.jpeg
I massaged her foot and could feel stuff breaking up. Then chunks came out....:sick Finally the sack encasing all the yuck came out too.
Resized_20170718_165239.jpeg Resized_20170718_165800.jpeg
It left a small hole which was the original scab. I dripped some colloidal silver on it and put a cotton ball on the pad of her foot. Then wrapped it with vet wrap. I did the warm Epsom salt soak and massage for 3 days. She insists on roosting high up so I was hoping the cotton ball would be some padding for her. After the first 3 days of soaking I changed her bandage for 2 more. After that she had a scab but her foot wasn't hard and I let her go unwrapped. I'm keeping an eye on it now. Her foot is still swollen but not hard and she's not limping.
That's my experience...

Bumble foot happens when they hurt their foot and the infection gets trapped under the skin.

Sounds like you're treating them correctly.

How old are they?
I have checked their run for potentially harmful stuff that could be cutting multiple feet. When I moved their run, I did find a broken mason jar in a corner of the run, which I cleaned up. I don't think that is a cause for concern, especially since two of the hens had these issues before the run got moved.

They are about 18 months old.

I personally would skip the two oils and just use the antibiotic cream . This has nothing to do with diet. Do they have any other symptoms besides the feet issues?
What would your reasoning be for skipping the oils? I'm open to doing so, I just wonder why.

I have not noticed any other symptoms, they all seem to be eating and drinking fine. One of my hens had gotten so bad she didn't really want to walk when I left for a week. Now that I've treated it, she is walking without limping, but she is still walking slowly.
I would use lavender instead of teatree and frankincense idpf their is an infection then use frankincense.

But lavender is your best bet if anything.
Lavender may help some with the pain, but Frankincense and Melalueca (AKA TeaTree) are both very strong in fighting infection. If I used Lavender I'd probably use it in addition to the other two, or maybe do Melalueca and Lavender and stop using Frankincense.....Idunno. :)
You could soak their feet in a warm Epsom salt bath. That will draw out infection. I'm not for cutting their feet personally. I recently treated a girl with a rather nasty foot. She was limping and one foot was twice the size of the other.
View attachment 1088074
I massaged her foot and could feel stuff breaking up. Then chunks came out....:sick Finally the sack encasing all the yuck came out too.
View attachment 1088079 View attachment 1088078
It left a small hole which was the original scab. I dripped some colloidal silver on it and put a cotton ball on the pad of her foot. Then wrapped it with vet wrap. I did the warm Epsom salt soak and massage for 3 days. She insists on roosting high up so I was hoping the cotton ball would be some padding for her. After the first 3 days of soaking I changed her bandage for 2 more. After that she had a scab but her foot wasn't hard and I let her go unwrapped. I'm keeping an eye on it now. Her foot is still swollen but not hard and she's not limping.
That's my experience...
Thanks for your story! I have not tried the soaking, I may try that this morning. I'm glad it sounds like she is recovering, that is a very helpful story. :)

Thank you everybody for your input!

Also: Is it a coincidence, that all of the hens with this are Wyandottes? I have several other breeds, but the only ones affected so far have been Wyandottes.....

Back
Top Bottom