Muscle Therapy (Leg)

Birdbrain_K

Hatching
Apr 26, 2021
Hello everyone!

I work in bird rehab, and recently we received in an adult hen who was beaten up by another chicken. (She's a beautiful black silkie!)

Her recovery has gone well except for one very important aspect, her leg.

Her right leg has issues with the tendons at the knee equivalent. When you move that joint, the muscles in her right foot retract as well. Her hip equivalent moves fine, but she doesn't attempt to use the lower portion of her leg at all.

Currently, she is in a sling to try and encourage her to stand again, but she is actively avoiding trying to use her right leg. It is clear to me that she needs some sort of muscle therapy. I am moving the muscle every so often to keep it stimulated and avoid atrophy, but I have no direction to go besides that.

Muscle Therapy for birds is something we haven't done before in our rescue, but I would like to try and am seeking advice if anyone has experienced a similar issue with a member of their flock.

One of the reasons it typically isn't done is rescues are bound by a time limit for a bird to recover. I have taken this little one into my care to save her from that limit, but as of yet am unsure how to proceed.

Additionally, if anyone has advice on a nutritious chicken smoothie blend, I would be grateful. She is fairly thin and won't eat, but is being tubed every hour.

I'm thinking of obtaining some critical care diet, but right now she is being tubed ground up chick starter and game bird.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom