Muscovie eye crusting over

NorthernChick1

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Ontario, Canada
20190325_164334.jpg
20190325_164522.jpg
hi, ive posted a thread yesterday but i haven't seemed to catch anyones attention. I am worried about my muscovies eye... she lost her friend this winter and is now the only duck in my flock of chickens. i brought her in for a month when the weather frostbitten her feet and put her back in the coop two weeks ago when her feet healed and the weather got nice. everything seemed fine until 2 days ago i noticed her eyes like this. the day i put her back in the coop the chickens kept pecking at her face so i watched her for a few days and they seemed fine. Would this be caused by the chickens pecking? theres no other parts of her body that are harmed and the eyes look ok its just the eye lid. one eye looks a bit foggy.
please let me know what you think as well as opinions. I was going to get her 2 more muscovies so shes not alone. when they were two they never got bothered by the chickens. Should i wait before going to get them or is it a good idea i get her two more hens so she can have her own flock and not get stuck hanging with the chickens.

I think she needs more duck friends to protect her. Can she be brought inside or isolated until her eye heals? I would say getting a drake, as well, to help out but drakes and chickens are a dangerous combo, so I’ve been told. I wish I had more advice about what the cause of the crusty eye was in the first place. Imo ducks need at least one other duck friend.

View attachment 1715441 View attachment 1715443 hi, ive posted a thread yesterday but i haven't seemed to catch anyones attention. I am worried about my muscovies eye... she lost her friend this winter and is now the only duck in my flock of chickens. i brought her in for a month when the weather frostbitten her feet and put her back in the coop two weeks ago when her feet healed and the weather got nice. everything seemed fine until 2 days ago i noticed her eyes like this. the day i put her back in the coop the chickens kept pecking at her face so i watched her for a few days and they seemed fine. Would this be caused by the chickens pecking? theres no other parts of her body that are harmed and the eyes look ok its just the eye lid. one eye looks a bit foggy.
please let me know what you think as well as opinions. I was going to get her 2 more muscovies so shes not alone. when they were two they never got bothered by the chickens. Should i wait before going to get them or is it a good idea i get her two more hens so she can have her own flock and not get stuck hanging with the chickens.

Looks like a beating to me

if its crusting bad get warm wet compressed on it to loosen the chunks and soothe the pain

If its a realy bad infection the compresses will help for now!

Edit- its actualy hard to tell if its a beating, The compresses would be a good start for now

@Miss Lydia what do you think?

20190326_184802.jpg
20190326_184805.jpg
20190326_184549.jpg
20190326_184544.jpg

image 1 and 2 is one side and 3 and 4 is the other. both are crusted but ones worse... i will separate her in the coop when they are locked in and ill leave her out when they are free ranging untill her eyes jave healed.
what i dont get is that the eyes itself arent damaged and nothing else but the contour.. is there a common bacteria or infection ducks get in regards to crusty eyes?

If she has been away from the chickens for a while and you put her back in with them this could exactly be what happened. I’d separate her from the chickens maybe split the pen so they all can see each other but the chickens can’t peck at her. Pour thing needs somekind of relief can you get Terramycin eye ointment or neomycin , saline eye wash?

If she has been away from the chickens for a while and you put her back in with them this could exactly be what happened. I’d separate her from the chickens maybe split the pen so they all can see each other but the chickens can’t peck at her. Pour thing needs somekind of relief can you get Terramycin eye ointment or neomycin , saline eye wash?

thanks for the reply i only have one farm suply store close to me so i will call and ask tomorow! would polysporin àfter a good warm water compression until i get some?

Back
Top Bottom