Muscovy drake problem

mommaduck2014

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 16, 2014
I have 2 Muscovies 1 male and 1 female. My male had been pulling out my female's flight feathers and eating them. It got so bad that I had to split them up. I am going tomorrow to get 2 more females to see if that helps. Any advice would be helpful.

I have 2 Muscovies 1 male and 1 female. My male had been pulling out my female's flight feathers and eating them. It got so bad that I had to split them up. I am going tomorrow to get 2 more females to see if that helps. Any advice would be helpful.
I have seen videos before and read some things about it. Muscovies do pull out their feathers. I have seen a video with a muscovy who had a lot of blood on his tail area and on the feathers, because he was pulling them out... I would take the male out for a while keep him in the house, in a big box or something. Or stay out there and when you see him pulling out their feathers. Yell and say no and (optional) take him out or spank him (I know most people don't hit their ducks but I have seen people do it {they do it not to hard though; gently})

I have the female inside and she is bored senseless. I have scolded the male when he goes after the female but he just ignores me. At my wits end here.

I have the female inside and she is bored senseless. I have scolded the male when he goes after the female but he just ignores me. At my wits end here.
Never spank or hit your ducks. Please it will only teach fear. and they could be injured. Eating feathers usually means protein deficient, try adding some high quality cat kibble to their feed, and yes adding more ducks could help but remember to let them all adjust slowly over several day to a week[where they can all see each other] before putting them all together. My drake was pulling on my ducks flight feathers and causing them to bleed I sprayed Blue Kote on her and the pulling stopped. It's great for disguising wounds and other things But if you use it make sure to use gloves and wear old clothes it stains.

Last edited:
Never spank or hit your ducks. Please it will only teach fear. and they could be injured. Eating feather usually means protein deficient, try adding some high quality cat kibble to their feed, and yes adding more ducks could help but remember to let them all adjust slowly over several day to a week[where they can all see each other] before putting them all together. My drake was pulling on my ducks flight feathers and causing them to bleed I sprayed Blue Kote on her and the pulling stopped. It's great for disguising wounds and other things But if you use it make sure to use gloves and wear old clothes it stains.
I don't hit my ducks. I said some people do...

I didn't say you do Crazy4Fowl, and am sorry if you got that impression.
Its ok... :)
hugs.gif

Doubt that physical disciplining will work on a bull headed Muscovy drake. You don't mention whether or not the hen is in a molt or not. If so definitely keep her separated from the drake until the molt is completed. Protein deficiency, boredom, crowded living quarters can all lead to feather pulling. How much space do the ducks have?

We had the same issue and upping protein worked really well. We also used bluekote on the wounds. Also there is a gel (can't remember the name) but stinks and deters pulling of feathers. We got ours from our local feed store. It doesn't sound like you have this problem but also consider the amount of ducks to space. Once we expanded the area that seemed to help too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom