Muscovy duck behavior

Greta A

Songster
Jun 8, 2022
So I am new to Muscovy ducks I bought 3 early this spring. They are all hens. One is more dominate and picks on what I assume is on the bottom of the order. That is the one I gave questions about. She is always stretching her neck out and chirping at me I feel like she is making conversation. Lol. Not sure what she is trying to say. Does anyone know what that behavior means.?

I love my Muscovy they are like little puppies. When you say picks on what exactly is she doing? During breeding season my more dominant female will pick on the others so she gets time out overnight in a dog crate inside the coop so she isn't isolated just can't pick on anyone. In the daytime they have half acre fenced to keep away from any bully but when closed up at night I don't feel anyone should be picked on this is rest time.

My Muscovy females talk to me by chirping and they communicate with each other that way too. I haven't seen one stretch their necks out but they all have their own way of communicating. They do stretch their necks out when excitedly talking to each other though.

The bully duck (Moe) chases her around and pulls her feathers out mostly. A few times I have seen them in the pond and Moe is sitting on Curlys back. I do not have a video. But I saw a YouTube video of a drake mating and it was similar. I am assuming it’s just a dominate female. I do intervene when I am near. Moe is trying to hatch a golf ball she found 😁 so most of the day curly is ok. She hangs out with the chickens The third (Larry ). Follows Moe around mostly But does not participate in the bad behavior Moe chooses to do.

So I am new to Muscovy ducks I bought 3 early this spring. They are all hens. One is more dominate and picks on what I assume is on the bottom of the order. That is the one I gave questions about. She is always stretching her neck out and chirping at me I feel like she is making conversation. Lol. Not sure what she is trying to say. Does anyone know what that behavior means.?
Mine do that. :) They are absolutely adorable. They'll do the neck thing either up high or further down.

Miss Lydia is correct, isolate the dominant one during the night so they can all rest peacefully.

Mine do that. :) They are absolutely adorable. They'll do the neck thing either up high or further down.

Miss Lydia is correct, isolate the dominant one during the night so they can all rest peacefully.
They do sleep separate They will not go in at night. They prefer the wild. Yes I have predictors. Yes I know it’s a risk. But wrangling a duck is not on my bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom