muscovy duckling colors

yinepu

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Texas where we don't feed the Trolls...
ok.. i'm used to the white ducklings.. and the black and white.. I think blues tend to have dark bills... but I'm not sure what all I have here..

any ideas as to what their adult colors will be?
(no idea on the parents.. these were shipped eggs)

muscovyhatch1b.jpg

Muscovyhatch1a.jpg

the brownish baby looked silvery blue in the incubator.. and the yellow is a tannish yellow.. not at all a pure yellow like the others I have seen
I'm guessing that the two dark ones will be black (black and white).. though they are greyer than my blacks have been in the past

these guys were just hatched out yesterday and I have one more of the brownish ones still in the bator (he's a bit weak and still partially in the shell)

2 Blacks, Blue Fawn & a Silver. The Silver's come in a funky beige/tan color sometimes, probably when the colors are mixed. You'll have to post more pictures later, when they're older so i can be sure though
smile.png

Quote:
i have just had some ducklings hatch, silver drake x blue pied. a lot of the ducklings are tan coloured, you might have just helped me out too!

Quote:
Quote:
Wait, what exactly is "Fawn"? I'm trying to learn the mutations in Muscovies. This is what I learned so far:

Single Mutations:

White -- incomplete dominant (split White resembles Pied)

Pied -- recessive (larger, clearer patches of white feathers than split White)

White-Head -- dominant (full white head after second year)

Blue -- incomplete dominant (one copy gives a shaded Blue, two copies gives Silver)

Chocolate -- sex-linked recessive (brown with no iridescent sheen)

Lavender -- recessive (even-colored blue-gray, darker than Silver but lighter than Blue)

Sepia -- recessive (dark brown with iridescent sheen)

Barred -- recessive (type of lacing pattern, very faded in adults, appearing mostly on belly, dark edge to feathers)

Ripple -- recessive (type of lacing pattern, light edge to feathers with dark centers, remains prominent in adults)

Combinations:

Blue-Lavender = Light Lavender

Silver-Lavender = Silver Lavender

Blue-Chocolate = Lilac

Silver-Chocolate = Buff

Lavender-Chocolate = Cream

Blue-Lavender-Chocolate = Lilac Cream

Silver-Lavender-Chocolate = Buff Cream

Combinations with Sepia replacing Chocolate don't seem to have special names (which I prefer in usage over coming up with "Cream" for what's really "Lavender Chocolate")

Blue-Lavender-Sepia = Light Lavender Sepia

Silver-Lavender-Sepia = Silver Lavender Sepia

Blue-Sepia = Blue Sepia

Silver-Sepia = Silver Sepia

Lavender-Sepia = Lavender Sepia

Chocolate-Sepia = Chocolate Sepia

etc

The Pied, White-Head, split White, Barred and Ripple patterns are just added after the color.

Is "Fawn" another name for either "Lilac", "Buff", or "Cream"? Or is it another name for Blue or Lavender combining with Sepia? Or is it another mutation altogether?

idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom