Muscovy Eggs Starting to pip

Grassman 52

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Ludlow Mass
This is my first time trying to incubate Muscovy eggs - Today I went to candle and I have two eggs that have internal PIP-ed and one that has external PIP - Was not expecting that at 29 days? My incubator may have been a little warm.

Can't wait (I'm like a little kid at Christmas) I am worried about the hatch I have read that you get a lot of "dead in the shell" with Muscovys.

Oh how awesome! Congrats! I hatched out 14 ducklings over the last couple of days, and I have 26 that I just put into lockdown tonight. One of them already have a pip!

I have four Muscovys and they are the sweetest babies ever. I just adore them!

~ Aspen

When I used to sell fertile Muscovy duck eggs, I had people asking me why their eggs were starting to hatch at 28/29 days and I was at a loss for reason too. I couldn't have gotten their eggs mixed up because I only had Muscovies at the time. I still to this day have no explanation for it. I thought they hatched in 35 days. When I hatched my own Muscovy eggs they would also pip between 31-33 days... still early. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as they're hatching. Congrats!

1st one hatched today - Strong and Healthy - 30days on the money.

Update - I have one Pekin Duck and it is breeding with the Drake Muscovy - the egg weighted 86 grams so I think it is a mule. I will post pic's later today.

Out of 80+ eggs in my incubator about 5-6 are from the Pekin. (this is OK for me as most of my ducks are for meat and will be tagged).

Last Pekin is being sold today so in the spring I can sell only pure Muscovy eggs.

I don't think you would be able to tell if it is a mule until its older. I had a duckling (rescue) that looked just like a muscovy. Turned out to be a rouen/muscovy cross but I couldn't tell until its feathers started. It looks like yours has a bean on it's beak so, who knows.

Forgot to say, cute. Congrats

Last edited:
Hello, I am on 32 days of incubating muscovy egg (8) . I have candled them and see no movement ever. But the airsack looks very good. My husband doesn't want me to discard them yet. How long should I continue with them. I did stop turning them today.

Thnks for ant help. Michelle (Hidden Valley )

Back
Top Bottom