Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I noticed the same foamy eye problem with my drake. His behavior has changed also. He doesn't swim in the pond with the girls anymore, but will bathe when they are not in the pond. Even though there is always water dishes by their food he sometimes eats without washing it down, struggling to swallow it and almost choking.

I was looking around for muscovy babies for sale and came across this from Ugly duck farms
Coccidiosis

Muscovy aren't like other ducks. Coccidiosis is rare in normal ducks, but quite common in Muscovy.
Coccidiosis live in dirt. Grass clippings, dirt baths in the yard, and dabbling in mud puddles are frequent ways that Muscovy pick up this disease.
Adults with Coccidiosis can be mostly asymptomatic. The main telltale sign is bubbling around the eyes. It can also cause a small amount of blood in feces. If it's more than a small amount, then that isn't from coccidiosis.
For babies coccidiosis can be deadly. It looks a lot like salmonella or similar intestinal diseases. They wobble, fall over, and generally fail to thrive.
Antibiotics do nothing to treat coccidiosis. They may help a bit with secondary infections related to coccidiosis, but that's it.
Sulfa drugs are used to treat coccidiosis.
If you think you have it, treat all of the birds for it.
To keep the possibility of coccidiosis down, cut your lawn a little taller in areas that your ducks will be. Three inches or shorter can expose your ducks to coccidiosis.

I was looking around for muscovy babies for sale and came across this from Ugly duck farms
Coccidiosis

Muscovy aren't like other ducks. Coccidiosis is rare in normal ducks, but quite common in Muscovy.
Coccidiosis live in dirt. Grass clippings, dirt baths in the yard, and dabbling in mud puddles are frequent ways that Muscovy pick up this disease.
Adults with Coccidiosis can be mostly asymptomatic. The main telltale sign is bubbling around the eyes. It can also cause a small amount of blood in feces. If it's more than a small amount, then that isn't from coccidiosis.
For babies coccidiosis can be deadly. It looks a lot like salmonella or similar intestinal diseases. They wobble, fall over, and generally fail to thrive.
Antibiotics do nothing to treat coccidiosis. They may help a bit with secondary infections related to coccidiosis, but that's it.
Sulfa drugs are used to treat coccidiosis.
If you think you have it, treat all of the birds for it.
To keep the possibility of coccidiosis down, cut your lawn a little taller in areas that your ducks will be. Three inches or shorter can expose your ducks to coccidiosis.
Thanks so much for the info. I'll definitely keep an eye on him, and look at the droppings today when I clean their roosting area. Good news though, I haven't seen his eyes foamy in about a week, but will keep a closer eye on him.

I noticed the same foamy eye problem with my drake.  His behavior has changed also.  He doesn't swim in the pond with the girls anymore, but will bathe when they are not in the pond.  Even though there is always water dishes by their food he sometimes eats without washing it down, struggling to swallow it and almost choking.  

I am new to muscovy ducks, well, ducks period. I bought 2 hens from a farmer, appear perfectly healthy And one is laying. And I bought 2 drakes from a lady with a variety of critters. The one drake has dubbed himself the top duck over the 2 hens and now the other is an outcast, just waddling around with my nice chickens (i intended to get him some ladies!) I too notice a foamy substance in the corners of his eyes from time to time. Mostly when its cold and windy, or when he is being chased around by the other drake. Perhaps stress?? Thoughts?!

Well, since I ravaged their nest under the shed and blocked it off (the girls were NOT happy about it), Ebony had taken to flying in to the turkey pen every day and crawling in to the nest with the broody turkey hens and laying her egg. I'm fine with that. At least I know where to find it (and my broody turkeys are harmless). I have to go catch her to get her out of the pen every morning though. She can fly in just fine but has no clue how to get out lol. I still have no clue where Cocoa had decided to start laying. I'm going to have to follow her over the next couple days. I won't be setting anymore, but I would like to eat them lol.

Its amazing how birds can get TO places but can never seem to remember how to get back lol. I dabbled with the idea of getting turkey. Are they any harder to raise than chickens,guineas, or muscovy? Just curious

Back
Top Bottom