My 17 babies are 1 month today!

Ranita36

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
Received my 15 chickadee's and 2 roo's, Black Australorpes. I was told take pic's as they grow fast. Boy howdy did they ever. I took out the heat lamp because we are in the 80's now and they are still in the garage. I will put them in the coop outside next week after we get the chicken trailer/run put together. I am a bit confused by reading different remarks. The trailer/run is 10x20. This is so they can free range. DO I feed them morning and evening and forage during the day? Feed once a day? Leave two self-feeders in the run? Can anyone offer advice or point me to a thread concerning this? Thanks all!

I am a bit confused by reading different remarks. The trailer/run is 10x20. This is so they can free range. DO I feed them morning and evening and forage during the day? Feed once a day? Leave two self-feeders in the run? Can anyone offer advice or point me to a thread concerning this? Thanks all!

Unless you are raising Cornish X meat birds, chickens will not overeat and, under normal backyard conditions, will do best with free access to their feed at all times when not on their roosts for the night.

It's possible to use a number of rationed feed systems successfully, but it requires a great deal of care and attention along with constant adjustment as the birds grow.

Access to forage does reduce feed consumption to a greater or lesser extent depending on how rich and diverse the forage supply is. One rule of thumb is to expect a large impact only during the peak growing season and only in an environment that is capable of supporting a population of feral chickens. :)

However much or little impact it has on their use of commercial feed, your birds will thoroughly enjoy their access to bugs and green stuff.

Could you cite that please.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=is+high+protein+after+a+lonf+period+of+time+bad+for+chickens&cvid=80b55447428f424b8a3b9a256ec72421&aqs=edge..69i57.47363j0j1&pglt=297&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=NMTS#:~:text=for chickens?-,Although constantly giving them high protein feed can damage their health in the long term, short periods of increased protein are necessary for the bird to maintain/rebuild feathers and health. Always make sure they have abundant water available to them.,-Chicken Molting: What
that's what i have seen and you do want to add protein if they are in bad heath like if their sick or molting and what % is the flock starter your talking about also all I'm saying is don't feed your birds high protein so 22% and above for long periods of time because of heath issues
oyster shell and grit in separate
although i would do this

this is what feed i recommend
• Day-old chickens to pullets six weeks of age should be fed a diet of approximately 20% protein.
• Pullets seven to eighteen weeks of age should be fed 17% to 18% protein.
• After nineteen weeks of age and throughout their egg-laying cycle, hens need about 16% protein.
• Hens or chickens that are molting can be fed an increased amount of dietary protein, up to about 20% and a lower amount of calcium. Again, this should be from a chicken feed with 20% protein—a pre-lay feed for growing pullets will work very well for molting. EDIT:i got this from an article online

https://www.bing.com/search?q=is+high+protein+after+a+lonf+period+of+time+bad+for+chickens&cvid=80b55447428f424b8a3b9a256ec72421&aqs=edge..69i57.47363j0j1&pglt=297&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=NMTS#:~:text=for chickens?-,Although constantly giving them high protein feed can damage their health in the long term, short periods of increased protein are necessary for the bird to maintain/rebuild feathers and health. Always make sure they have abundant water available to them.,-Chicken Molting: What
that's what i have seen and you do want to add protein if they are in bad heath like if their sick or molting and what % is the flock starter your talking about also all I'm saying is don't feed your birds high protein so 22% and above for long periods of time because of heath issues

although i would do this

this is what feed i recommend
• Day-old chickens to pullets six weeks of age should be fed a diet of approximately 20% protein.
• Pullets seven to eighteen weeks of age should be fed 17% to 18% protein.
• After nineteen weeks of age and throughout their egg-laying cycle, hens need about 16% protein.
• Hens or chickens that are molting can be fed an increased amount of dietary protein, up to about 20% and a lower amount of calcium. Again, this should be from a chicken feed with 20% protein—a pre-lay feed for growing pullets will work very well for molting. EDIT:i got this from an article online
Without disrespect, I strongly disagree. 20-22% all their lives is acceptable. Over 22% (24% more specifically) is problematic.

Without disrespect, I strongly disagree. 20-22% all their lives is acceptable. Over 22% (24% more specifically) is problematic.
what i was saying is over 22% is bad i would recommend 16% for best heath and i would like you to cite where you have found that 20% is the best for chickens for their whole life

Back
Top Bottom