12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Australia
im in a mix

at my school all 6/7 students got given day old chicks
i recived mine and named her cookie
now she's been at home for about 4 days
she's tame and follows me around
but at night she wont STOP CHEEPING!!!!!!!!!!!
im now sleep deprived!:mad:
please help me if you know whats wrong!!!!!!!!
sad.png

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookie_Chick

Chickens are flock animals and need other chickens. S/he's probably lonely for sisters and brothers.

Did your teacher tell you how to care for your new chick, and give you the equipment you need to keep it safe and warm? Did your teacher give you the special food your new baby needs?

Do you even have a brooder, they need warmth and comfort, they cheep alot when theyre cold. they usualy hudle together when there cold but if you only have one then thats probably why, buy it a box a mirror and a lamp it shouldnt cheep as much:barnie:thun

OMG!

such good advice i hope that fixes it

you guys are so sweet giving me advice on how to care for her!

thanks alot!

Cookie_Chick

Your chick has imprinted on you and most likely thinks your her mom! A new chick would follow her mom around for 6-8 weeks. Enjoy the fact that your chicken adores you!
wink.png
She/he will become more independant as they get a little older. Eighteen days is still very young, and she/he's not sure about things around her/him.

You might consider passing on all the advice you're getting to your classmates who also got chicks to take home... and perhaps you can even tell your teacher so she'll know for next year.

At 19 days old, your little chick should need a temperature of about 90 degrees Fahrenheit to be comfortable. In a couple more days the temperature can drop to 85 or so... and another week after that, it can go down to 80... each week dropping about 5 degrees until your chick has all its adult feathers. If it's not kept warm, with dry, clean bedding, your chick can get very sick and even die. You can tell if your chick is too hot because it will hold its beak open and pant and run away from the heat lamp. If it's too cold, it won't ever go out from under its heat lamp. If it's just right, it will wander around its brooder comfortably. Chicks also need special chick food to be healthy, and their food and water need to be kept very clean--clean them out every day, and let the chick have as much food and water as it wants to eat.

thanks
my chicken has a clean box everyday because when i check her in the morning i clean out her box
she stepped on a prickle and now her foots bleeding a bit what can i do to help her?

Back
Top Bottom