My 2 yr old hen had yolk coming from her vent

Kelllynnl

Songster
6 Years
Jan 17, 2018
Northern Ontario
This evening my 2 yr old hen was acting kinda funny so I decided to bring her in for a warm water soak and upon carrying her in she got yolk all over both of us. I noticed a long grey tube coming from her vent but I didn’t want to pull or push it because I’m not sure what it is. She enjoyed a soak and is eating/drinking and preening a little bit. Can anyone give any advice as to what I should do?

Attachments

• 3F9FCD91-8DDC-458E-A59E-F85D30098036.jpeg
    3F9FCD91-8DDC-458E-A59E-F85D30098036.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi Kelly,
How is your hen?

To me, that looks like an egg membrane and needs to come out. Did she expel that overnight?
The yolk leaking out is a bit concerning. Is she perky this morning or seems to be feeling droopy?

I think she will be ok.... she jumped and roosted on my older hens tote ( she comes inside at night to sleep) and the other hen pulled out that tube. We checked her vent good after and it looked clean. My husband let her outside this morning because she was pacing by the front door. I’ve been watching her and she is acting normal, so I guess I’ll keep an eye on her.

I would keep watch on her.
It's not surprising the other hen pulled that out, she probably ate it too if given a chance.

If I have a hen that is having trouble with soft shelled egg like that I give them extra calcium for 2-3 days (TUMS or 1/2 Caltrate) along with a direct dose of poultry vitamins.
Sometimes it's just a glitch, but if consistent, then I've found the hen is usually showing the first signs of reproductive problems.

I hope it was just a glitch - she hasn’t ever laid a funny egg except that one. She is a big girl and will only lay about 4 eggs a week. I have a monitor inside their coop and can see the run from my back windows. I’ve seen her walking around and eating and drinking so as of right now she seems ok.

Back
Top Bottom