My 6 week old chicken is afraid of everything :(

1girl2chicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
California
I have two chickens and they're both the same age and they are so opposite! My Plymouth Rock (Blondie) is so bold and doesn't mind getting held. But my Wyandotte (Pilot) who is the same age is afraid of everything :( nobody can get close to her and when we do get close enough to catch her she chirps like we're strangling her :( And the second I open the coop she dashes right twords it because she hates being out of it.
What can I do to make her less afraid, more friendly, and more happy?

I don't know how to change this unfortunately but I can tell you that of my 7 10 week olds, my two polish mixes are scaredy cats and my 4 red comets have no problem when my 15 month old picks the up (correctly) and will let us get close but touch their feathers and they freak. My 15 week old red comet took 4 weeks but finally warmed up to us. Each chicken I have ever had, has had its own personality. I would suggest being calm and regular handling. That seems to be what worked best for us over the last few years. The more they are handled, the better they are. Good luck.

Thanks, it's just so hard to spend time with her because the coop is about three steps below our backyard so she has to walk up the stairs just to hang out with us. I guess I'll just give her time.

The easiest thing would be to hold them both at the same time so the timid chicken will take her clue from the bolder one and hand feed them something irresistible like worms or watermellon.

Try holding her tucked under your arm. If you can't catch her take her off the roost in the evening. I know it's hard to believe but giving a very skittish chicken a warm bath will calm them down quite a bit. I usually used the bathroom sink since it fits a grown hen so nicely. Have two towels drying and have some some oil for the feet. waddles and comb next to when you will sit and dry the hen in advance.Fill the sink 1/2 way and have a 1/2 gall of slightly water water ready by the sink to warm the bat if it cools. There might be a bit of flapping when you first try to out a hen in the water but get her to stand in in for a bit then gently hold her down in the water and after a bit most hens will just sit there. Keep it calm and quiet.

If its warm you can carry her outside to dry in the sun (though she might dust bathe!) or to lull her into complete submission you can blow dry her on medium heat/low blower.And so far I have never had a hen that did not love being blow dried!

Yes, my chickens are very spoiled... We have eight hens right now...one follows me around the yard as long as I am out there, two of them come into the family room, sit on my kids laps and watch TV and most of them will all least tolerate being handled for routine care.

Back
Top Bottom