My 7 month old Roo is so awesome!

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
Friends ask me why do I have a ROO if I don't need one for egg laying... well I didn't PLAN to have a Roo.. he was supposed to be a SHE..

But he is AWESOME... just a few minutes ago I ran out side after I heard his Distress call... (now I know what it sounds like)... sometimes it's just a squirrel bothering them or getting too close trying to get food...

Today I opened the back door and per usual... my 2 hens were running to the door (I try to throw them out some BOSunflower seeds when I open the door or check on them... since I'm now letting them free range all day when I am home, it's a good way for me to check on them when they come running. Usually my Roo is right there with them... today he was off in the yard... still calling his distress sound.... so I looked the direction he was looking and saw a neighbors cat at the fence line in the back of my yard!

Of course I chased the cat off.. and put up the chickens in the safe run.... but I'm so proud of my Roo!

Oh.. maybe some of ya'll don't think cats kill.... but a different neighbor cat DID kill one of my 3 month old hens this past June... she was too young I guess... now my 7 month old birds seem to have better wits about them... another time I ran out to check and they were all 3 perched up high ON TOP of the runs... They love free ranging so much in my fenced backyard... and I'll only do it if I'm home to hear them calling me..

EDIT.... I have been spending most of my time in the Hatching message boards.... came here to post because I was proud of my Roo warning me... and thought this would be the place to post... then I started seeing all the Losses here today.... I am so sorry to hear of all of the losses happening.... makes me realize how quickly something can happen... so devastating!!!
sad.png
I've been there....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom