My Baby Chicks are Finallly Here

FlockHappy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
North Carolina
I just brought home 15 Australorp chicks! They are so cute!
hugs.gif

I'm a little worried about one of them. I didn't notice it when I got her, but she seems to be having trouble standing up. Her legs always goes wide apart and she is always doing a split. You can see her doing it here:

Here she flipped over and couldn't get up without help.
sad.png

Say hi to the little peep:
frow.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new adorable babies!!!!

Your little guy looks like he is struggling with spraddle leg, which is correctable ONLY in the first few days. I'd get a hobble on him immediately. It is caused by slick bedding such as newspapers. But it can also just happen. What I like to do is put some old rags down for the first two days or so then switch to pine shavings. Or you can use pine shavings immediately with some paper towels on top until they realize what their food is. (Sprinkle food on the paper towels to encourage them to eat it.)

Here are some links:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry//BRKRaisingChicks.html

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Even if he "can't walk" with the hobble on, he will find a way to get around a little. Just make sure his food and water are very close by. You won't need to treat too long- see the links.

Last edited:
I found that my little mille fleur with spraddle leg responded well to the bandaid cut in half longways to make it thinner placed around his legs brought together normally to hold them together. I left it on for 3 whole days, then took it off to check if he could walk. It strengthens their muscles to hold their legs together and really works in many cases. After the 3 days, if it hasn't helped you can re-apply the band aid. It helps to have 2 people to apply it, although I had to do it myself. Please look up pictures here on the google search.

I put the bandaid around her legs and she's doing better already. She's standing well and can get around pretty good. I'm so happy. I thought for sure she'd have to die.
D.gif

Where do you live? I could come over and watch them for you.......the only thing cutter than one australorpe chick is 15 australorpe chicks. Precious.
wee.gif
Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom