My Barred Rock chickens are laying truly white eggs

angelseternity

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2015
I have three of what I thought were barred rock chickens. Now that they are laying I am getting white eggs from them. I have also read that if the hen has white earlobes then it will lay white eggs and if it has red/pink earlobes it will lay brown eggs. With the exception of the blue/green egg layers. My barred rocks have white earlobes, which I found unusual.

So I know they're obviously not pure barred rocks but I can't figure out what they're crossed with. All of the chickens that have similar features/colors of the barred rock also lay brown eggs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Its late now but I'll post pictures of a hen tomorrow, but here are the eggs for now. Thanks!

The earlobe thing is for the most part true, but it can be hit and miss (especially once you start mixing breeds). For example, the Penedesenca breed has white earlobes, but they lay a dark brown egg. It sounds like you may actually have production blacks, otherwise known as california grays, instead of barred rocks.

Last edited:
I have three of what I thought were barred rock chickens. Now that they are laying I am getting white eggs from them. I have also read that if the hen has white earlobes then it will lay white eggs and if it has red/pink earlobes it will lay brown eggs. With the exception of the blue/green egg layers. My barred rocks have white earlobes, which I found unusual.

So I know they're obviously not pure barred rocks but I can't figure out what they're crossed with. All of the chickens that have similar features/colors of the barred rock also lay brown eggs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Its late now but I'll post pictures of a hen tomorrow, but here are the eggs for now. Thanks!

You are quite correct about the color of a hens' earlobes showing what color of eggs that hen will lay.

The eggshell color has nothing what-so-ever to do with the wholesomeness of the eggs that hens lay, but the eggshell color is intended to protect the egg and undeveloped fetus from Sunlight and the radiation that goes along with Sunlight until the hen begins incubation. When humans first began to provide hens with covered nests, the hens began to evolve away from laying brown eggs. Every time a chicken keeper reports difficulty in candling brown eggs that chicken keeper has just ran smack up against Mother Natures plan to protect her unborn chicks.

The same thing is happening today in regard to the Eastern Bluebird. Bluebirds are transitioning from laying a Robin blue egg to producing white eggs, possibly in response to manmade nest boxes.

Last edited:
Well there are production blacks, they have barring just like BRs but lay white eggs... Or could just be genetic mutation keeping the hen from making the brown outer layer of the egg... I've read other posts about BRs laying white eggs; I would go with the assumption that it's not a pure bred Barred Rock.

Your white earlobed, barred birds could very well be barred Hollands. They are single combed, barred white egg layers.

Last edited:
I have barred Hollands, they lay white eggs and are much lighter bodied than Rocks. They also have white-ish legs, as opposed to the Rock yellow. But, they don't have white earlobes. My guess is a California grey or production black. can you post a pic?

Thanks for the replies and ideas. Here are pictures of the two hens. Looking at pictures of production blacks or California Greys these could definitely qualify. They are considerably smaller than my other hens, which I just discovered are a mix sometimes called Cinnamon Queen.

Last edited:
I have barred Hollands, they lay white eggs and are much lighter bodied than Rocks. They also have white-ish legs, as opposed to the Rock yellow. But, they don't have white earlobes. My guess is a California grey or production black. can you post a pic?
X 2 - and the pictures you've posted seem to fit the bill quite well.

X 2 - and the pictures you've posted seem to fit the bill quite well.
Ol Grey Mare,
I see you're in Oregon. I live outside Salem and am looking to add Barred Hollands to my flock. Is this a breed you keep? Or know anyone who does? Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom