My chick’s right side of their chest is protruding???

Crop? I’ve never heard of that! :0
I will pay attention to that more closely! Thank you for you help Coop <3 I’m not too experienced with chicks
My guess is also that it’s the crop, even my teeny tiny silkie chicks have full crops - looks hilarious on such tiny things.

As for lice you can lightly dust it with a louse powder under its wings - this chicks looks about 3 or 4 weeeks old right? Just about a teaspoon of the powder.

Might try a local TSC for some chicks it can have for friends.

Okay, the crop is part of the chicken's digestive system. It's basically kind of a holding tank for food. The chicken fills it up like a chipmunk fills up its cheeks, then later the food travels further down the digestive tract to be processed through the gizzard and so forth. Generally it should feel full at bedtime in a healthy chicken and be empty by morning.

Does your niece have other chickens? An only chicken is a lonely chicken! A mirror is a good temporary solution but over the long haul it needs a flock.
Okay, the crop is part of the chicken's digestive system. It's basically kind of a holding tank for food. The chicken fills it up like a chipmunk fills up its cheeks, then later the food travels further down the digestive tract to be processed through the gizzard and so forth. Generally it should feel full at bedtime in a healthy chicken and be empty by morning.
Ohh, thank you! I didn’t know this, & I’m very appreciative of the knowledge! I’m going to update to see if it’s better in the morning <3

My guess is also that it’s the crop, even my teeny tiny silkie chicks have full crops - looks hilarious on such tiny things.

As for lice you can lightly dust it with a louse powder under its wings - this chicks looks about 3 or 4 weeeks old right? Just about a teaspoon of the powder.

Might try a local TSC for some chicks it can have for friends.
It definitely is a bit wonky looking lol, thank you!

Louse powder? & I’m not too sure, around there I’m assuming!

Thank you for the tip <3 I appreciate it

Hi Guys!

A chick my niece brought home two days ago from work has my concern.

She said that she’s watched this baby at work for almost four days before making the decision to bring it home after watching it get rejected from the other chickens that lived there, & did not see a mother hen or flock that matched its pattern.

When she brought it home, it was very fatigued, had a massive lump on the right side of its chest, fluff missing from its wing areas & below the wings, as well as what looked like lice?

I’d like to know what I can do for this little one! It’s very sweet & oh so small, I want to help it & if anyone has any suggestions please, please, please help me! I don’t want to lose her or watch her suffer :( If you need better pictures let me know!

Thank you guys so much for being here <3
For sure head to the feed store and get chick starter. They also have medicated chick starter, that may be a good idea. If the lump is gone in the morning it was a full crop. Does the lump feel like a bag or rice or is it hard? Until you get food, scramble some plain eggs. Also get some electrolytes powder at the feed store to mix with the water. Is she active or lethargic? Also for sure get something to treat the lice as that will make her worse. Mirror and small stuffy will help her feel more comfortable. Keep an eye on the poop to make sure it’s normal and doesn’t have any blood in it. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom