My chick won't eat!!

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
I have a single chick that resulted from a botched attempt by my broody EE's. I didn't think the poor thing was going to make it, but somehow survived. It's been three days now, and it should be wanting to eat and drink on it's own, but is showing no signs of doing so. I've managed to get it to drink a little by force, but it shows no interest in eating the food, even when I move it around with a pencil or simulate pecking with it. All it wants to do is cuddle. I'm afraid that the poor thing is going to end up starving itself to death.

What should I do?

I honestly dont know what to tell you. I have heard that you can try cooked oatmeal. otherwise you can put sugar in the water to give it a little energy and maybe that will stimulate it to eat. Will it eat if you are holding it, Like the chick and the food in your hand? Hopefully soemone comes along that knows more than I do. Sending prayers for your chickie.
Kristyne

do you have electroytes??? if not some diluted gatorade might help it better than sugar water. I would suggest you get some (parrot) handfeeding formula as this contains electrolytes and concentrated nutrition...place a bit into the beak and allow the bird to sallow itself to avoid aspiration into the lungs. give a couple drops of POLYVISOL daily for a week and then taper off...good luck!

It finally decided it was thirsty enough to drink on it's own. I don't live where I can get any of the parrot stuff, so I gave it some water with a tiny amount of sugar in it. I'll keep giving it the water every half hour or so, and maybe it'll discover that having a full crop feels better and want to eat.

Back
Top Bottom