My chicken can’t walk

Apr 14, 2024
I posted a picture of a ayam mix chick a couple days ago - she can’t walk , her hips are poked out towards the sides a little , I don’t think are broken or dislodged or dislocated because she still moves them and gets around , but she can’t stand , her hips when you feel them , feel like they didn’t form correctly as in they don’t feel like there is a whole bone it feels like’s pieces. What can I do to help her to stand

Attachments

• 35D5DA40-8C39-4B72-8919-15005A32111F.jpeg
    35D5DA40-8C39-4B72-8919-15005A32111F.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 7
Try ans cut a straw short and run a rubber band through it. Put the ends of the runner bands around the legs and those should pull the legs together and hopefully correct it. The chick will struggle to walk with the makeshift brace at first but it will hopefully get used to it. Usually after a week or.so of having the chick wear the brace it corrects the legs.

Attachments

• hairtie-method.jpg
    hairtie-method.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 3
Try ans cut a straw short and run a rubber band through it. Put the ends of the runner bands around the legs and those should pull the legs together and hopefully correct it. The chick will struggle to walk with the makeshift brace at first but it will hopefully get used to it. Usually after a week or.so of having the chick wear the brace it corrects the legs.
I will try this ! will her hip bone grow as she gets better .? What should I give her protein wise to help her ?

I will try this ! will her hip bone grow as she gets better .? What should I give her protein wise to help her ?
I do not know how well the hip bone will heal but since it is a growing chick, it could grow muscles to help hold it in place.

Mealworms are a good source of protein for chicks. So are boiled eggs. Boiled eggs offer protein, vitamin A, Vitamin E, and Beta Carotene.

That treatment is for splay legs. She may have something else wrong. I would give her human B complex 1/4 tablet crushed daily and mixed in some egg or mushy wet feed. Or you can use Poultry Cell or other chick vitamin, but make sure it has riboflavin on the label. Then place the chick in a small wine glass or a padded small cup to let it get used to standing. Do this several times a day, while also keeping it warm, and feeding/watering it.

Back
Top Bottom